Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Attic days

Post Likes
    I also show 700 CFM for 14”.
    That duct is undersized.
    Since you say you never had any problems, what actual airflow did you measure when you were commissioning the equipment? You do proper equipment commissioning, right?
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Post Likes
    This forum requires that you wait 20 seconds between posts. Please try again in 50 seconds.

Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"

Pecmsg - "NEST should only be used with 3-M filters to guarantee total destruction of the equipment!"

Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

Post Likes
    What happens in the spring? Where does all the condensate go when the unprotected traps burst? Wise practice is to somehow get those traps in a pan with a float switch. (Not sure if is necessarily code, seeing as you don’t follow that to much anyways). That is enforced here in my neck of the woods.
    UA Proud Local 539

You can fix anything with the right amount of time and money.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    I also show 700 CFM for 14”.
    That duct is undersized.
    Since you say you never had any problems, what actual airflow did you measure when you were commissioning the equipment? You do proper equipment commissioning, right?
    He may not get paid a commision for side work.
    UA Proud Local 539

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pnasty View Post
    What happens in the spring? Where does all the condensate go when the unprotected traps burst? Wise practice is to somehow get those traps in a pan with a float switch. (Not sure if is necessarily code, seeing as you dont follow that to much anyways). That is enforced here in my neck of the woods.
    When I lived in NY we always use schedule 40 and never had problems with the traps bursting from leftover water. This is in Washington State same thing schedule 40. I don't know where you're at but maybe it's really cold do you have to run your drains in Copper because of extreme cold? You would have to wrap them with heat tape. I have a float switch of the emergency pan. You should have seen the original installation they had a condensate pump pumping it out Follow The Line set no safety switch. And the access was facing the eve not the middle of the attic

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thekux View Post
    When I lived in NY we always use schedule 40 and never had problems with the traps bursting from leftover water. This is in Washington State same thing schedule 40. I don't know where you're at but maybe it's really cold do you have to run your drains in Copper because of extreme cold? You would have to wrap them with heat tape. I have a float switch of the emergency pan. You should have seen the original installation they had a condensate pump pumping it out Follow The Line set no safety switch. And the access was facing the eve not the middle of the attic

Ice bursts through copper. Instead of heat tape you can reduce the need for it by getting the trap inside some pan. You could also make sure your are aware of the danger of pipe failure, and show them how to clear the trap.
    I don’t care about the original install, we’ve all seen some really crappy installs.
    UA Proud Local 539

Post Likes
    When I lived in New York never had a problem with schedule 40 crack and over the course of a winter. But you might live somewhere where it's even colder than New York. Here in Washington State I don't think we have to worry about that problem special on the Westside. I always make sure I have a pretty darn good pitch on my condensate drains of course the traps going to have some water in it. If I would have put it in the emergency pan I would have lost a lot of pitch. That where the unit is I have a real good pitch. If you live somewhere where it gets to -20 maybe they schedule 40 doesn't work so well maybe schedule 80 or a real strong PVC would be better

8. Dislikes Pnasty disliked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12