+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Oil furnace to heat pump conversion

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    This thread need to be relocated to the wall of shame, horrible installation!
    welcome back, you've been gone a while. hope all is well.
    Nest is POO!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KickedGinger View Post
    The funny thing is...
    this guy thinks we're expensive...however he doesn't pay
    1)Insurance fees
    2)Refrigeration license fees
    3)HRAC fees
    4)Welding/certificate fees
    5)ODP fees
    6)Gas license fees
    7)Continuing education fees
    8)Permit fees
    OR TAXES ON JOBS!!!
    There is NO such thing as a rich Refrigeration/AC tech who didn't work his damn balls off.
    Yes i have extra money to treat my family. It's because I work my ass off every single day and every single week.
    I'm on call 24\7 and when I install a system that doesn't work properly I have the tenacity, work ethic and knowledge to fix it!

Before I became a LICENSED technician
    I had 5 years on the job training
    I had 3 years in school training
    Then I took a MF hard test

I charge 90$/hr because I've spent as much time in school as a doctor has!

Guys like you steal from people with a real license and it makes me sick.
    You forgot you HVACtalk pro membership fees.

Post Likes
    I think I forgot a few others too!

Post Likes
    I do not need to weld in HVAC service. The very few times I've Ever Needed a welder I call 1.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I also said brazing.
    Many companies have to pay a certification fee every year.
    Oh wait...
    But YOU don’t....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KickedGinger View Post
    I also said brazing.
    Many companies have to pay a certification fee every year.
    Oh wait...
    But YOU don’t....
    I have never needed a brazing certificate but maybe you live in a far left-wing state that you need a certificate just to change out a light bulb.

Post Likes
    why is the condenser sitting on the slab and not raised up for defrost?

8. Likes JeffWil liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by servicefitter View Post
    why is the condenser sitting on the slab and not raised up for defrost?
    In this climate it's not worth the extra trouble it snows so little

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thekux View Post
    In this climate it's not worth the extra trouble it snows so little

Not really about the snow level, it's about getting the unit off the ground so that when the unit defrosts the water has somewhere to go besides in the base of the unit causing ice build up on your expensive condenser coil. Yes there are different size pump ups, snow feet, whatever you opt to call them, for different snow levels but again that's so the water can drain out of the unit. I've worked across the US in all climate regions and there isn't one I'd not put on feet.

If you post up pictures of your work, no matter how well you think you did someone will pick it apart. And I'm not going to get rolling on things I'd done or not done. However there is a plethora of knowledge from many individuals on here that some states have far more stringent requirements most because these stars the inspectors read the manufacturers installation requirements and the also read the code books and they actually base the codes in thier jurisdictions off of the manufacturers required practices as it is 90% of the time far more in-depth and what will get them in a sling with a home owner and court system as it's not what they say is what goes as when a lawyer is holding the installation guidelines and you did what you think is best and not the book from the people who built it say, what you think really doesn't matter. And that is why things should be left to professional HVAC contactors, not guys that can save a client a thousand bucks or more.

Think about this, one side job, gone horribly wrong, could cost you for your entire life. What worked in 96, don't cut it in 2018.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

11. Likes GenesisRefrig, HVAC_Marc liked this post.
    Post Likes
    most because these stars the inspectors read the manufacturers installation requirements

Type-o
    States not stars

Post Likes
    All heat pumps are made to sit on the ground without the stilts you can see the drain holes. Granted if a bunch of leaves or something could plug them up easier. I checked out my PDFs on the equipment there is no installation section. Got some recommendations but there's none of them that mention elevation pads. Those are for snow not really defrost. If you lived in Florida but you have to secure it to the pad.

Post Likes
    All heat pumps are made to sit on the ground without the stilts you can see the drain holes. Granted if a bunch of leaves or something could plug them up easier. I checked out my PDFs on the equipment there is no installation section. Got some recommendations but there's none of them that mention elevation pads. Those are for snow not really defrost. If you lived in Florida but you have to secure it to the pad.
    Drain holes are so that moisture can seep out, not for defrost function and/or large amounts of water. It's mandatory to raise a heat pump especially in a freezing environment.
    Nest is POO!!

Post Likes
    I could see in your neck of the woods. It does not freeze that much here. I've watched my unit defrost before and the water drains out no problem. In California you'll never see heat pumps on elevation pads. My unit stays frost-free. I go out there and check it out once in a while to see how it's doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    Drain holes are so that moisture can seep out, not for defrost function and/or large amounts of water. It's mandatory to raise a heat pump especially in a freezing environment.

Post Likes
    Marc, we are spoiled out here on the West Coast trust me. That's why I love it here over the East Coast. You guys have too much s*** to deal with over there

Post Likes
    I know it doesnt freeze there much. I know a plumber out there. It's good practice to put something that makes lots of water well above the minimum flood level.
    Nest is POO!!

18. Likes JeffWil liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Again it's a good practice thing, and I have done my fair share of work in Washington, Idaho, Oregon, so on, they are for water drainage. And I've done a many in Arizona, Texas, Missouri, Iowa, Tennessee, Kentucky, Ohio, list goes on, my point is for the purpose of design I'd not install a HP on the ground. Just cause it usually doesn't freeze doesn't mean it wont.

Post Likes
    Out here I've worked on a lot of heat pumps and even one Long Island and not too often they were raised. If they're not plugged they will drain just fine. If people that leaves pile into it then I won't drain. But I could totally understand and then climate where it freezes all the time for days and days and days for sure. And super brutally cold climates I don't think heat pumps are the best choice

Post Likes
    super brutally cold climates I don't think heat pumps are the best choice
    These climates are where heat pumps shine. They have a larger shoulder seasons where the HP can maintain temperature for a lot less cost before the heat supply drops off to a point where the more expensive fuel source takes over.
    Nest is POO!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    These climates are where heat pumps shine. They have a larger shoulder seasons where the HP can maintain temperature for a lot less cost before the heat supply drops off to a point where the more expensive fuel source takes over.
    How much per kilowatt do you pay where you're at? When I lived on Long Island it was very expensive and I'm assuming you because you're an Eastern New York it's a hell of a lot colder. I have a friend of mine that moved from Long Island to Greene New York and it is nasty cold there in the winter time

Post Likes
    June's bill. Actual usage. Where the AC was running non-stop day and night for weeks at a time. (179.70) Im in Western NY where it's no uncommon to get long runs of -20 in the winter.

Sent via ESP...
    Nest is POO!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in