Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by GoCougs View Post
    RIP Jimp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Where's my batteries?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

2. Likes jayguy liked this post
    Post Likes
    Sorry but I would not touch a live 460 system for anything else than measuring with proper equipment. I was trained on 11 kV equipment on the reefer ships when I was in the merchant navy, but this 'low voltage' equipment 380-460V has my utmost respect. The voltage is lower, but the amperages are so much higher, and with that the flash temperatures when you get arcing.
    Not worth the risk.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jayguy View Post
    There are 1000 volt rated tools like screwdrivers and such. I haven’t seen any crescent wrenches or nut drivers or sockets that are 1000 volt rated but they may be out there. You really need to baby them to keep them safe and in good condition. It’s just not worth it for me.
    That stuff exists:

https://www.wihatools.com/insulated-tools
    This forum requires that you wait 20 seconds between posts. Please try again in 50 seconds.

Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"

Pecmsg - "NEST should only be used with 3-M filters to guarantee total destruction of the equipment!"

Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

Post Likes
    I've heard cigarettes are bad for your health. Probably should be wearing the proper safety gear to be smoking cigarettes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pnasty View Post
    The time it took to post this originally you could have de energized said machine, tightened lugs, re energized, and had a cigarette.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

6. Likes lions_lair, HVAC_Marc liked this post
    Post Likes
    This dummy tried it and look what happened to him.

https://youtu.be/6hpE5LYj-CY

I’m just having a hard time envisioning any reason not to just kill the disconnect, tighten and turn it back on. I’m sure all of us have tightened a lug or two or 10 with an insulated screwdriver on lower voltage stuff... but from what I have read the danger really rises at 480 and beyond.

When you touch a conductor to a hot line with much potential, the flow of electrons heads into the tool and if the potential is enough to leave the tool without a direct touching to neutral or ground, it arcs through the air to its nearest out path (think lightning) ... and like lightning a large amount of heat and a resulting sonic wave from the arcing paths collapse (thunder) would be generated.

To simplify the situation, ponder this question:

In a raging thunderstorm, you are suddenly given the job of installing a new ground rod. Do you...

A: Stand outside with a long copper pole
    B: Stick the copper pole in the ground and stand next to it.
    C: Wait 10 minutes for the storm to pass, then proceed.

I’m going to recommend shutting power off at this point. Please update what the outcome is if you do try it though.

8. Likes neilc, shellkamp liked this post
    Post Likes
    Medium voltage but you get the picture.

https://youtu.be/4bBvmPRqfmo
    The 2nd most important amendment is to protect the 1st...

Free Air Conditioner Sizing Chart

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123