Post Likes

Blast Freezer Advice - Comparing Used Units

I am in the process of setting up a small freeze dried food packaging company. We will be freeze drying and packaging meat and fruit.

Although many of my machines are new, my blast freezer and steamer are used. I am thus attempting to learn about how to buy used restaurant equipment on the fly.

My use for the blast freezer will be to rapidly chill/freeze meat leaving the steamer (to avoid a delay the could grow bacteria) and also to quickly freeze produce. I understand there are best methods for how you handle freezing produce but will learn those details later.

I am comparing several varieties of blast freezers, these range from small units made for flash freezing ice cream, to large units that can be used as a large working surface.

Here are the units I am considering:

- Traulsen RBC50 ZWM12 Undercounter 50 Lb Blast Chiller Freezer - This unit is the largest, it's the largest and can double as a tabletop for the prep-work to be done. I like that it has a printer to track temperature progress. I am not sure what is involved in getting the data downloaded, but that would be useful since I am a software developer and can use the data to report to the USDA. I can get one of these between $1800-2500. They are actually a current unit and are quite expensive.

- TECHFROST JOF-23A Countertop 1.18cf Capacity - This is a very small unit that looks like a large tabletop microwave. This would take counter space, but does take less electricity. However, these are made primarily for ice cream so they drop to -40. I think these are out because they have no probes...

- Piper Servolift Eastern RCM051S Shock/Blast Chiller - This unit has a cool feature where a UV light comes on to supposedly sanitize the unit. However, I have read that since it's behind glass the feature may not even work. Because these come from Publix they all over and fairly cheap (like $1150) however, many of these units are over 10 years old and I am concerned about being hit for having something that is so old.

- ALTO SHAAM QC2-3 BLAST CHILLER FLASH FREEZER - This is a nice unit from a US company that has great support. Plus it is only 2 years old and it brand new. However, I think this unit I am looking at is simply weak. The support dept said it could only go to -10f but I am not sure if that was the food or the circulating air. I would appreciate any input on this...I attached the spec sheet and here are the specs:
    refrigeration
    R-404a Refrigerant
    One (1) 1/2 hp Condensing Unit:
    freeze mode: 2,800 BTU's per hour at -5°F (-21°C)
    chill mode: 4,750 BTU's per hour at +20°F (-7°C)
    air circulation: 875 cfm

Any input and thoughts would be VERY appreciated.

Is this a strong unit? I need to work out how to compare these...
    Attached Images Attached Images

In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    You'd be better served by posting your refrigeration question HERE >>> http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispla...amp-Ice-Making

"You never know what others don't know." -

If I can't laugh at myself...then I'll laugh at YOU! -

Post Likes
    Usually buying used equipment is a bad idea to begin with. And when blast chillers need work most often it’s expensive.

The only brands worth anything that you are looking at are the Traulsen and the Alto-Shaam. Personally I like the Alto-Shaam. I’ve worked on a bunch of Angelo-Po units as well, stay away from those.

I know the cost of a new blast chiller is outrageous but unless you have a GOOD tech to fix the used one or you know it’s in good working order I’d be looking at a new unit. Your counting on this to be an important part of your business after all.

4. Likes tmt0269, ECtofix liked this post