Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Pool water chiller

Ok so I live in an extremely hot area and my pool gets over 90 degrees in the summer. Chlorine burns fast and it's too hot to even swim. I'm thinking about making my own water chiller. Not really a new invention but just a homemade one. There are pool chillers on the market for about 5 grand but I figured I have the tools equipment and for the most part the know how about how to make one. I'm planning to use an old window a.c. unit, cut out the evaporator coils and make my own coils inside a metal drum in place of the evaporator. The water would pump through the drum around the coils which would cool the water. My concern is what effect the chlorine in the pool would have on the copper tubing. Any other input would be appreciated. I'm trying to do this as cheap as possible.

2. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    What BTU range are you talking about? Did you do a Load Estimate?

4. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    Why not just make a Cooling Tower? Significantly less energy consumption and depending on the design, it can be controlled by the Pool Controls in some cases.

6. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    I did not do any load calculations so I don't know what btu range. This is all basically experimental at this point. My pool gets upwards of 95 degrees in the summer so any drop in temperature would be good, I don't have a target range. As for a cooling tower I'm not really sure how that would work but I will look into it.

Post Likes
    For the most longevity you want cupro-nickel pipe. Most auto parts stores have it in numerous sizes. It's used for brake lines where they are exposed to corrosives - salt, for example.
    This forum requires that you wait 20 seconds between posts. Please try again in 50 seconds.

Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"

Pecmsg - "NEST should only be used with 3-M filters to guarantee total destruction of the equipment!"

Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

Post Likes
    Copper and chlorine don't play well together.

Most pool heaters use titanium. Or use what Marc said above.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BALloyd View Post
    Copper and chlorine don't play well together.

Most pool heaters use titanium. Or use what Marc said above.

I was going to suggest titanium but for an experimental system the CuNi pipe is probably the cheapest way to go.
    This forum requires that you wait 20 seconds between posts. Please try again in 50 seconds.

Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"

Pecmsg - "NEST should only be used with 3-M filters to guarantee total destruction of the equipment!"

Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

Post Likes
    Why not just do What we did and Use a Braze plate? And PVC Feed

Post Likes
    Well that is also an option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grayline View Post
    Why not just do What we did and Use a Braze plate? And PVC Feed

Post Likes
    Indirect evaporative cooling "tower" is the way to go, especially if you are in an arid part of the country.

Post Likes
    Do the math!

How many gallons of water does your pool hold?

Gallons x 8 = pounds of water in pool.

To cool the water in the pool down just one degree it will take 1 btu/hr for each pound of water.

A 12-by-24-foot rectangular pool with an average depth of 5 feet will hold approximately 10,800 gallons of water.

10800 x 8 = 86400 lbs of water.

IE: If you want to drop the temperature in this size pool say...... 10 degrees in an hour you are going to need a cooling unit capable of 72 tons of cooling. This doesn't take into account how much energy the water is picking up from the sun at the same time.

Best bang for your buck is to get a pool cover that reflects the sun so it can't heat the water.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

15. Likes James Karol liked this post
    Post Likes
    Thought of a Geothermal type system? Pump the water underground and recirculate it to the pool?

Post Likes
    Add a solar pool heating system with an area close to the surface area of the pool but only run it at night. It will radiate heat to space. The temperature of a black bar set out at night will reach midway between the dew point and the drybulb temperature so that would be the lowest achievable temperature. Check out florida state solar power website. If you want to look more into this then contact me and I can provide cost/performance analysis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast