Post Likes

How often would you recommend changing an central air filter ?

Post Likes
    Depends what type you have. The standard 1 inch fiberglass filters should be changed every month. Generally the 1 inch pleated filters are too restrictive to use with most A/C systems without causing other issues, so they aren't recommended at all. A 4 or 5 inch filter could last between 3 months and a year, depending on how it was sized for the system and how long the fan runs (continuous, intermittent).

On the 4 and 5 inch filters, the manufacturer will sometimes specify that they should be replaced after a certain amount of pressure drop. For example, in the Honeywell F100 media air cleaners, they recommend filter replacement at a static pressure of 0.50" WC.

Post Likes
    Every time that it's dirty.

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by ACGuy2018 View Post
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

4. Likes HVAC_Marc, Kevin O'Neill liked this post
    Post Likes
    I always told my customers, check it every month, change it when it gets dirty.

We had some elderly customers who kept a clean house, the filter only got changed when we did the tune-ups every 6 months. And even then it was still clean.

Some customers 2 weeks was a better time frame, especially if they had a lot of pets.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Post Likes
    You may need to change it monthly, or after every three months. It merely depends on several things such types of air filter AC require, air quality of your home, how dirty your air filters, cooling problem occurs etc.

Post Likes
    There is no rule of thumb on an amount of time, no two homes are the same, loose, tight construction, pets, smokers, kids, heck the jobs the people work and the environment that the home is in. Loads of factors can cause a filter to last or not last longer than another. As Mikey said, "every time it's dirty". I have clients that can go 6 months and others that can't go 6 days.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk