Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    Ok been there , heres the, plan tech says if leak is found in suction line under OD coil he will lift condenser coil and braze up suction line . Question 1 . How do you nitro purge that short section of pipe before compressor ? Can suction line to compressor be detached at compressor so nitro purge can be done? Tech says not likely to be able do a nitro purge there . What about my concept of detaching the suction line at comp then nitro ? Even if they piece in a section looks like nitro must be used for assurance . Please advise as I want the best possible repair and knowledge is where its at .
    No need to disconnect from compressor. Your tech sounds like he doesn't use nitrogen if he can't figure out how to get it into that line to braze. Just has to do it like he would any other time.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    That is a leak area I have dealt with on Trane equipment since the intro of the XL line in 1985. It is more common in units with scrolls. If on the discharge line usually it is the copper line, but on the suction side more likely the subcooling loop of the aluminum tube(condenser coil will need replacing).
    Now the cabinet and outdoor coil can be removed from the unit in about thirty minutes leaving the base,compressor it's discharge and suction lines exposed. The corner post with the controls and wire harness will remain also.
    There is a way to insure the line is oxy free, but that is for your repair man to handle.

Post Likes
    The biggest risk I foresee is that with this type of worn-through leak the leak tends to get exponentially larger over time.

The down-time should not be long - half a day maybe.

I used to live in Houston. So I would definitely get it repaired now. <g> Because if the leak rate suddenly becomes a pound per week on a 100º Saturday which comes at the end of a week of 100º days - everybody competent will be scheduled ten days out.

PHM
    --------

Not only that, but the worlds best tech could do the work & if hes not an authorized Trane Co afiliation many will not put the cost of a part up front, to find out Trane wont reimburse them if the replaced part is what Trane thinks could be the issue . And that Trane mechanic may not be as good as xyz master tech . In the case of OD coil leak that could be scary .

BTW Poodle Head Mikey ,is there any more damage to be to the sys / compressor / if I wait for the fall cooler weather to have this repaired . you know down time? Thanks Mikey
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Thanks , you have made things easier I will insist nitro or hit the road . Just expecting quality work for my money.

Post Likes
    Yes, that was a concern . But the condenser coil is said to take a week to get . that is, if thats where the hole is . Tech had to insert yellow jacket snorkle into rubatex suction Could be copper or aluminum ? You gotta know when to hold fold em or walk away Thanks friend .

Post Likes
    cut the damn rubatex off! geez. get a look at it. it might be a 15 min fix or a new coil. wont know until an eye hits it.
    This forum requires that you wait 20 seconds between posts. Please try again in 50 seconds.

Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"

Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

Post Likes
    Excellent post . Independent Tech stuck sniffer in suction line rubbatex and sounded a 2 on his yellow jacket he had to play with it to get it to sound off. Looks like the Trane authorized tech will have to do the job as they will replace the coil under warranty though he was the guy with out the detector . That didnrt set well with me , so I hired a known tech in the area and he found the location of the leak in 10 min with his detector. But couldnt pinpoint exact location it as coil or copper He can do the job but if he finds the leak in the coil I will have to go to the authorized Trane route . Whoever gets this job will nitro purge any braze work and vacuume . Wifey says only use Trane rep as problems with this unit so far warrants no potential issues with Tranes warranty down the road If wifey aint happy no ones happy.

Post Likes
    Be my luck the rubatex is holding in the charge and ..... Thanks for the advice but where it is might be more difficult to eyeball a little blue bubbles wont hurt though. cut off the rubbatex ? WHAT !! who would a thunk it .!

Post Likes
    Be my luck the rubatex is holding in the charge and ..... Thanks for the advice but where it is might be more difficult to eyeball a little blue bubbles wont hurt though. cut off the rubbatex ? WHAT !! who would a thunk it .!
    you'll know nothing without cutting it off. is it copper? aluminum? where the leak is? at a minimum it can be narrowed down in location and severity.
    This forum requires that you wait 20 seconds between posts. Please try again in 50 seconds.

Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"

Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

Post Likes

3 yr Trane suction Line leak OD unit

You don’t have to be a Trane Dealer to warranty that coil. We sell Ruud, and I bet you a Ben Franklin we could warranty it. Like you said the Trane tech didn’t even have all the tools to find the leak, heck he should know where the leak is if he is a Trane Dealer. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". -Vernon Law-

"Skilled Labor Isn't Cheap, Cheap Labor Isn't Skilled" - Unknown

Post Likes
    Mr Bill , you dont have to be a Trane dealer but would you believe the last Co non Trane dealer I called about the work asked me if I would pay for the coil up front as the Co that installs it pays up front for the part then gets reimbursed from Trane. When Trane gets the unit back to test for defect . If it's an authorized Trane dealer they probably would have less reason to deny any (part) replaced by them. I could see the compressor blowing , down the road and without a history of Trane service all the excuses would develop. This problem I have appears to be inherent in XL units, see some other tech posts, and Trane wont cover labor . Thats really poor ethics . I doubt I'd ever buy another Trane in the future. I dont know about you all in the RED River Valley but finding the right Tech and Co in SW VA is a hoot . Ye HA

Post Likes
    Mr Bill , you dont have to be a Trane dealer but would you believe the last Co non Trane dealer I called about the work asked me if I would pay for the coil up front as the Co that installs it pays up front for the part then gets reimbursed from Trane. When Trane gets the unit back to test for defect .
    That's crazy! Even my distributor would probably have to order the coil. But If a non Ruud dealer walked into our Ruud distributor here "with coil in hand" they would just take the old one and give them the new one, it would be a wash. You probably would have to pay a small shipping fee, but they would also give you the option of overnight or standard shipping, of course that would be the customers decision. As for as testing for a leak on the old coil, Trane must have a lot of time on it's hands to do all that. We just warranted a 2 year old American Standard compressor the other day, and the AS distributor didn't even want the compressor back, just the information off it, go figure! It was one of their Alliance Compressors, that may have been why they didn't want it back.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". -Vernon Law-

"Skilled Labor Isn't Cheap, Cheap Labor Isn't Skilled" - Unknown

Post Likes
    Mr Bill , guess Trane is trying to prevent parts changers at their expense . It took 2 service calls to pinpoint a defroster board issue as the repairman said he wouldnt just install a new board with out being sure as Trane will not cover part if no problem Heck , I knew the unit wasnt defrosting as it iced up and shut down, it was 4 months old at that time. They werent that bad though, they could have tried to install a new reversing valve .LOL We have 2 authorized Trane dealers here and I just found out the Co I use, doesnt supply their techs with leak detectors . What??? The first Trane Co I called way back, didnt have enough sense to realize the wiring in the air handler wasnt hooked up to allow the full 15 kw aux to kick on . He wanted replace the aux coil . I looked at the install book to find that issue and had another tech from present Co to confirm and connect . I'm skeptical now ?? You bet . the last tech tahrt pinpointed the leak told me I know more than half the techs he sees. What little Ive learned is from you all . Thank God for that

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12