Post Likes

installing Freeze Stat

I didn't go for the expensive one with cap tube and sensor , I got the elcheapo you strap to suction line ( cheep cheep cheeeeeeeeep customer )

Trane 6 ton gas pack

Supco SFPC

So how far from the evap do you strap this thing on the suction line ? Closer to evap or more towards the compressor ?

It drops out at 35 deg , back in at 50

I put it about 16 in from evap

I also added a TDOM delay for 5 min

Post Likes
    As close as possible.
    Inside the cabinet is best.

Post Likes
    On the suction header of the evaporator might be the best but on the suction line just outside the plenum or coil-box has been successful for me many times.

BTW: the time delay won't hurt but the 35 cut-out / 50 cut-in 'timing' is well sufficient to prevent short-cycling.

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    I didn't go for the expensive one with cap tube and sensor , I got the elcheapo you strap to suction line ( cheep cheep cheeeeeeeeep customer )

Trane 6 ton gas pack

Supco SFPC

So how far from the evap do you strap this thing on the suction line ? Closer to evap or more towards the compressor ?

It drops out at 35 deg , back in at 50

I put it about 16 in from evap

I also added a TDOM delay for 5 min
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    I would imagine that, ideally, you'd want it on a return bend. But often size and space restrictions can make that problematic.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

Post Likes
    I guess that would work but the clip on them is for 5/8 to 7/8 tube size so you're kind of restricted for placement. And thinking back - maybe it's just 3/4 and 7/8.

But really; the placement doesn't seem to be all that critical. I had one work well enough at the condensing unit. It was on an attic job that I Was Not Going into the attic for.

Cut-out is 35. These jobs tend to have low SSH to start with - especially when the evap is in any danger of freezing - and the coil doesn't really "freeze" until about 30 suction.

An EPR (or a new properly installed system <g>) works the best but so many jobs demand a lesser intervention and the Supco stats do work well for cheap.

PHM
    --------

c
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    I would imagine that, ideally, you'd want it on a return bend. But often size and space restrictions can make that problematic.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.