Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    N2
    H2O
    Considering the quantity of oil I was using and that it was brand new, I don’t think that I would see any nitrogen or moisture off-gas. I would hope the moisture level would have been less than a few PPM and considering that I added it to a “system” that was a little higher than a few PPM I don’t think the small amount inherent in the oil would have been much.
    Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Political Correctness is forced on you because you have forgotten decency.

Post Likes
    My point is if just one bubble formed in the oil it would have started that chain reaction sooner and would have caused the agitation needed to get it going.

I just don't like the glass jar demonstrations very much.

Maybe this could happen in the field where you wouldn't know there was a gallon of water under some compressor oil IDK...
    that would suck.

I still got two beakers full of POE that has been sitting open for years. Maybe I'll try some water under there.

Post Likes
    Wow, sorry to open such a can of worms but I would like to verify my fundamental understanding of microns and HG..... let’s say you’re looking at a tape measure....

HG is “inches”

Microns are 1/64 “inches”.

I know this may not scale accurately, but on a basic level this is how I comprehend it, is this at all accurate as far as basic understanding?

In other words, is a micron simply a smaller measurement of psi or hg?

Post Likes
    Poodle head Mikey... your insight has opened a whole new world. Of course 15psi positive pressure would never be sufficient to leak test.

Understanding that a -29.9 hg is exerting an inward pressure only equivalent to positive 15 psi, has made me re-think the whole process. TY

AWESOME reason to test for tightness under positive pressure!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 3.14 View Post
    Wow, sorry to open such a can of worms but I would like to verify my fundamental understanding of microns and HG..... let’s say you’re looking at a tape measure....

HG is “inches”

Microns are 1/64 “inches”.

I know this may not scale accurately, but on a basic level this is how I comprehend it, is this at all accurate as far as basic understanding?

In other words, is a micron simply a smaller measurement of psi or hg?
    a micron of mercury is a smaller measurement of atmospheric pressure. 760,000 microns of mercury = 1 ATM (760 Torr = 1 ATM also)
    Last edited by HVAC_Marc; Today at 08:08 PM.
    This forum requires that you wait 20 seconds between posts. Please try again in 50 seconds.

Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"

Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

Post Likes
    I wonder if there was anything happening to the temperature of the water under that oil?

With ***ZERO*** disturbance, would the water under the oil have to become superheated and bubble @ it’s corresponding point, but have to break the oils surface tension as well which is???? ... but your numbers make it clear that is SHOULD already have been at this point!? It must have something to do with the seal the oil creates combined with H2O being non compressible (possibly in the opposite direction as well). I bet if the surface tension the oil is generating was broken,... the h2o would rapidly and violently boil.

This could have some serious implications for high moisture content systems and leaves me feeling a system in question should be agitated to some degree while pulling deep vacuum.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234