Post Likes

Manitowoc RNS0308A Evaporator Assembly Rebuild

Has anyone ever rebuilt the evaporator assembly on this ice machine. The service manual has nothing. Water is leaking through the auger water seal (#9), so while I'm in there I'm going to replace the water seal retainer (#11), the seal ring (#12) and the bearing (#13). I'm trying to do this without removing the evaporator, so I won't have to recover the refrigerant and all that entails. I'm having a difficult time figuring out how to remove the auger (#7). Any help would sure be appreciated! Thanks.Name:  Manitowoc.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  45.2 KB
    With your chrome heart shining in the sun, long may you run.

Post Likes
    Evaporator can actually be removed pretty easily without recovering, as the lines are soft copper, just move it out of the way.

I have not had great luck with these machines, we had one that we replaced water seal and lower bearing, then upper bearing locked up, then something in top end broke and scored up evaporator. The upper bearing has a strange setup and the illustration doesn't really show you how it goes together, so my advice is take pictures during disassembly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    While open replace all bearings and seals.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the replies.

So, I tore into it and this is what I'm seeing. It doesn't look good.

Name:  IMG_0233.JPG
Views: 68
Size:  116.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_0234.JPG
Views: 69
Size:  96.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_0235.JPG
Size:  115.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_0236.JPG
Size:  118.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_0237.JPG
Size:  115.1 KB

Post Likes
    Seals shot.
    Clean it up with Emory cloth, new bearings and seals upper and lower. Your good to go.

6. Likes 2sac liked this post
    Post Likes
    After sending the photos to Welbilt technical support, they're saying I need to replace the whole evaporator assembly. The machine is under warranty still, so that's the route I'm going to take rather than rebuilding it. FWIW, the machine is just two years old. We bought three other machines at the same time. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. Again, thanks for the feedback.

Post Likes
    The outer bearing race on the bottom bearing always rusts in place. Since its inside the housing and recessed, I found that welding a washer on it and tapping or pressing it out works.
    Replace all seals and bearings. If the evap is badly scored, machine isnt worth fixing.