Post Likes

New to the industry, need advice

So I maintain several power plant here in california and my company sent me to HVAC school to learn the trade. Its been a year or so now and I started to help out neighbors with the AC systems (just small jobs nothing major yet). I would like some advice on what I should charge for services.
    At my job ive replace entire wall units and such, but i have no idea what i should charge for services out here. Good old california i can only do jobs up to 500 bills, since im not a contractor.
    I've read about "buying" (RMO agency) a lincense to work under but I just don't see the pay back on it. I figure after a while I can get the experience and get my own C20 later.

Post Likes
    I would do it for beer and cookies and apple pies. Especially if you don't know what you're doing and are just using it it as a learning experience.

Personally I hate doing side jobs. I do this crap all week long and get paid good enough money with out needing to do side work. I like to spend the weekends doing other stuff. I also like the fact that if something goes wrong on the job or something breaks 3 months later it's my bosses problem, not mine.
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

3. Likes HVAC/R 19, JoseS liked this post
    Post Likes
    A good tech knows there limitations.

With schooling and no real experience i wouldn't touch anything. No License, No Insurance, and very little real experience your only going to do more damage then good.

Let your friends and neighbors par a professional.

5. Likes HVAC/R 19, JoseS liked this post
    Post Likes
    I’m confident on what I know and especially what I don’t know. Just like when I was in the navy I don’t pretend to know what I don’t.
    As far as the weekends go I don’t mind working, I got a softball team to support at home. Lol.
    Ammoninadog I hear ya. I love me a good bbq and a beer on the back porch.

Post Likes
    I generally have no problems with side jobs but I do very few myself because once you touch it you own that shit forever. I've got a guy now I put a furnace in for last year and he is calling me every other day about his piece of junk 30 year old a.c system. Oh and all this winter he thought his furnace was too loud (it wasn't), running too hot (it wasn't), burning too much propane (nope again), his venting looked backwards (?!) and so on. The piddly little service side jobs aren't even worth the time what are you going to make? Maybe $50 for changing a cap? You have to be cheaper than the big guys to get the calls and those big guys do piddly calls all day for the chance to do a big job you can't be doing because you aren't a contractor. Not even worth the time if you ask me.

8. Likes JoseS liked this post
    Post Likes
    If your doing sidework for someone,then it means that someone is too squeaky to pay a ligit contractor in the first place. No Thanks!

10. Likes JoseS liked this post
    Post Likes
    The more you guys talk about it the more it makes sense. I see where you guys are coming from now. I think I’ll just try and get some part time work from a company out here (there are plenty around here in the summer) just getting a part time gig will be tough I imagine. My current job is great. Turn wrench’s on gas turbines all day long. Thanks for the words of wisdom fellas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk