Post Likes

Uc freezer trips gfci once a week

Delfield two door under counter freezer with intermittent tripping 20 amp gfci, scratching my head, first time I cleaned the condenser fan blade and plastic cover near fan, coils were clean, unit holds temp, did not find high amp draw on compressor, both fans or defrost heater. Condenser air flow is not the worst Ive seen, not too near other hot equipment, maybe 8 years old unit, start cap is 320 microfarads, my meter only goes to 200 and appears to be over 200. There is a crack in the plastic interior but I think the insulation is there and its not short cycling because of this, is there something obvious or not obvious Im missing? Thanks

Post Likes
    Freezers shouldnt be run on GFCI!

3. Likes 2sac, tmt0269, GenesisRefrig liked this post
    Post Likes
    Take it off the gfci
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Post Likes
    Why should a freezer not be on a gfci? They seem to have most of the refrigerated appliances on them in this kitchen even if they are not near a sink/water source

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by uffdanow00 View Post
    Why should a freezer not be on a gfci? They seem to have most of the refrigerated appliances on them in this kitchen even if they are not near a sink/water source
    Electric heaters, water, Steam, Ice ?

Post Likes
    Get rid of the GFCI

I wish I had a dollar for every one I took out

Oh wait ... I do !

8. Likes 2sac, tmt0269 liked this post
    Post Likes
    I appreciate the education, since this is happening after years of operation, would slightly compromised insulated windings in a moist environment cause a ground fault but not a short/ tripped breaker? Im curious as to the local code aside from getting it to work, they have three single breakers tied together at the panel which feed three separate gfci receptacles,

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by uffdanow00 View Post
    I appreciate the education, since this is happening after years of operation, would slightly compromised insulated windings in a moist environment cause a ground fault but not a short/ tripped breaker? Im curious as to the local code aside from getting it to work, they have three single breakers tied together at the panel which feed three separate gfci receptacles,
    Youve been lucky.
    Now remove the GFCI.

11. Likes 2sac, tmt0269 liked this post
    Post Likes
    I talked with my electrical inspector about this issue once. He said "GFCI outlets are required by code, but I cant control what happens after I leave."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by stat View Post
    I talked with my electrical inspector about this issue once. He said "GFCI outlets are required by code, but I cant control what happens after I leave."
    Thats when the GFCI sticker goes on

Several manufacturers state NON GFCI circuits.

Post Likes
    We had an undercounter freezer on a GFCI for years without issue, started tripping once a week, eventually was tripping constantly. Ended up being the perimeter heater around door frame had shorted against the cabinet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Gfci also go bad , and it probly depends on the brand you choose. I carry 3 at all times because if its near water you're Not really supposed to replace it with a regular rec ...

But i have kitchens who power wash their floors and walls , and ofcourse the guys dont care , and they drench the outlets constantly. Morons.

16. Likes tmt0269 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Check all your connections and make them tight. A little bit funky neutral will make you nutz.

18. Likes The Turtleman liked this post