Post Likes

Daikin vrv III refrigerant charging

I'm replacing a compressor on a vrv III system and wondering what the best way to charge the refrigerant is.... Should it go in through the liquid line ? The Daikin manual is not so easy to decipher . Hoping to add all the refrigerant with system off and in recovery mode ie not have to use the automatic charging mode.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by isleofvanman View Post
    I'm replacing a compressor on a vrv III system and wondering what the best way to charge the refrigerant is.... Should it go in through the liquid line ? The Daikin manual is not so easy to decipher . Hoping to add all the refrigerant with system off and in recovery mode ie not have to use the automatic charging mode.
    There is a valve on that unit for charging. It's really not that hard to change the modes on it as well. The valve you want to connect to is right next to the line sets at the outdoor. It has the 5/16 access fitting on it. Depending on the amount of charge you may have to put it in additional charge mode.

Post Likes
    Do you have the Daikin app? It makes navigating the push button/amber light board easier than the manual.

I like the "Daikin Service" app better than the other one. I think the other is called Daikin Equip or something like that.

Weighing the charge that gets pulled out is important. A leak/low on refrigerant system is hard on those compressors.

Curious if you found a cause to the compressor failure? Daikin seem to eat compressors. We have found piping issues in some systems. We have also found a plugged oil return line in two units(factory fault). It's the little cap tube from the oil separator that feeds directly into the suction line right at the compressor.

I replaced a compressor last week. Right out of the box it was locked up and immediately drew 22 amps and kicked off on E5 error code. That was actually the second time that has happened to us this year.

I'm getting tired of Daikin VRV. But all our issues are with VRVIII. So far IV is been OK, but it's newer. Time will tell.

Another thing to note. Daikin has a new monitoring software. There is a yearly charge to monitor it. We have one account with 6 VRV III systems and about 120 indoor units and it's under $1000 a year. But it will keep an eye on all pressures, temps, compressor speeds, etc throughout the entire system and send out emails if it sees a problem. If it saves one compressor, it paid for itself many times over.