Post Likes

Becoming certified in t&b

I’ve been looking at becoming certified in t&b it appears that nebb seems to be the norm. Is this accurate? From what I read a tech has to work for a nebb certified company to gain his certificate. Can someone verify this and give a brief explanation of the process of this journey, any other words of wisdom concerning this would be appreciated.
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

Post Likes
    NEBB requirements for certification are listed on their web site. In short you have to do TAB work for ten years before you can take the certification test unless you have an engineering degree and then it is two years. You have to pass the technical and practical examinations in both air and water.
    If you are union you can take the TAB course which is one week and get TABB certified. The advanced course is two weeks. I retired a few years ago but I think what I have told you is still accurate.
    If you want to be a good balancer make sure you know the fundamentals backward and forwards. Learn what information is reliably accurate and the best equipment and test methods.

Post Likes
    Thanks I’ll look into the Union course. Is that through the National I didn’t see much through the local?

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

Post Likes
    It's available through the sheet metal workers but I suspect the plumbers offer it also. A one week course will not make you capable but it might get you started. TAB is a great way to make a living but you have to know it well enough to stay out of trouble and defend yourself. Good luck.

Post Likes
    When I looked into it, the requirements looked like they were meant to keep people out of the trade. I know balancers here in Iowa are few and far between. I have literally waited a month to get a kitchen hood balanced.

Post Likes
    The requirements are not meant to keep people out but to make as sure as possible those certified are qualified. If you have paid close attention to this site the number of people that are absolutely convinced that air system static pressure measurements provide all the information needed to evaluate fan performance is overwhelming. Nothing could be farther from the truth but you can't convince most people of that. If a balancer relied on statics he would have so many call backs he wouldn't have time to balance anything. I fully expect plenty of exceptions to my statements on static pressure.
    It is also important to know what equipment to use and where. Time weighted electronic airflow meters are unreliable in low pressure systems but most balancers trust them fully. The reason for the years of required experience is that even though balance work is not high tech it takes several years to become good at it and a ho hum balancer is of little use.

Post Likes
    Thanks for your info guys we’ll so how this plays out

Post Likes
    The most recent kitchen hood system I installed the system was deigned for me, including the factory built exhaust duct and equipment speced, by a major manufacturer that we all know.

12' hood, new 700 sq ft stand alone restaurant. The balancer from the manufacturer was there for two days, he couldn't make it balance, multiple emails and phone calls from him to his boss. Turned out they had speced the wrong exhaust fan. They ended up changing the specs on the job to match the equipment. They said don't worry, it will work fine. I still had to pay for the report.

Post Likes
    stat if I were you I would compare the actual performance with the codes. I would notify the owner in writing of what transpired. If it doesn't meet code make them change it. Is the factory built exhaust duct all seal welded?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE3298 View Post
    stat if I were you I would compare the actual performance with the codes. I would notify the owner in writing of what transpired. If it doesn't meet code make them change it. Is the factory built exhaust duct all seal welded?
    The exhaust duct is factory built round stainless sections that clamp together.

The AHJ received the glowing T&B report and signed off on the job and the owner was able to open his business. As long as those parties are happy, I think I'll just move on to the next job. The store has been open for quite a while now and there have not been any ventilation complaints.