Post Likes

Internal oil filter access plug on Carrier screw compressor

Does anyone know of a clever way to remove the access plug for the internal oil filter on a Carrier screw? I've put around 300 ft/lbs on the plug and it won't budge. I think somebody put thread locker on it.

Post Likes
    I use a 3/4 drive hex socket into the plug socket. Use a 3/4 drive pull handle, possibly even with a cheater. apply "vigorous" tension and have a helper tap on the plug with a two pound hammer. If that doesn't work, call in a bull gang crew and get serious.

Post Likes
    Carrier is the one putting red loctite on everything, there is bulletin about using a torch to burn the thread locker.
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

Post Likes
    Carrier didn't put loctite on the oil filter plug fitting, but that doesn't mean someone hasn't used it in the past.

Your best bet would be to use an impact gun and possibly a little heat As well.

I don't know if you're changing this filter as part of a maintenance agreement with the customer or if you're changing it because you're "going through the motions", but IMO unless there are compelling reasons to change it, don't.

Post Likes
    the last one I did my 800 ftlb impact would not get it loose. I broke a 1/2" break over bar. I then bought a 3/4 allen 3/4 drive, a 52" 3/4 drive break over bar with a cheater. I got it and the threads were clean. no Loctite at all. I even had new ones that I was the first one to replace filters on was extremely hard to get off.

Post Likes
    Ditto to the procedures above 3/4 allen head socket, 3/4 drive breaker bar and a cheater pipe has always worked for me.
    If you dont stand behind our troops, please feel free...........to stand in front of them.

Post Likes
    If it has a thread lock on it - heat will break the bond. It says so right in the Loctite Directions. <g>

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by coolairman View Post
    Does anyone know of a clever way to remove the access plug for the internal oil filter on a Carrier screw? I've put around 300 ft/lbs on the plug and it won't budge. I think somebody put thread locker on it.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    We had one that we changed filters every year. Had to use the 3/4 inch route every year. The temp change over the course of the year would make them that hard to get apart. I think it is the two different types of metal , cast body and mild steel cap. Would be better if you could pull down to get it loose. At least my belly would be good for something, I could just hang on the breaker bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I’ve changed a lot of internal oil filters on the 06N compressors. Same as everyone has suggested, 3/4 hex socket and a breaker bar. I use a 24” 1/2 drive but 3/4 would be stronger. I’ve always been able to break em free, it’s just a pain. The worst part is cranking down with the oil feed line right in the way.
    I’ve never seen any with loctite even tho it feels like it’s on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk