Post Likes

Dirty Blower Wheel

A local fast food place has three 20+ year old package heat pumps on the roof. Compressors have been replaced by other contractors.

One good way to ensure follow up work is to ignore air flow issues when replacing compressors.

Here are a couples of pictures from one of the units.

We cleaned enough dirt out of one of the blower wheels to fill a one gallon bucket. The insulation that had fallen down from the side walls of the plenum, and was blocking two of the supply takeoffs wasn't helping much either.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    It's an upside down world we live in.

2. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    That's frigging gross...and a shame. Hope it payed well

Would it have been easier to replace the wheel?

Thinking about my volunteer fireman buddies and their love of spotless fire trucks, they spray wax the bottom of their trucks when they are brand new and after every power washing so nothing sticks to them. I wonder if it wouldn't be a bad idea to spray wax a new blower wheel before installing.
    Anyone ever try that, or have a better idea?
    "Sometimes what's right is what's left after you do everything wrong"--Robin Williams

4. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVEusaPA View Post
    That's frigging gross...and a shame. Hope it payed well

Would it have been easier to replace the wheel?

Thinking about my volunteer fireman buddies and their love of spotless fire trucks, they spray wax the bottom of their trucks when they are brand new and after every power washing so nothing sticks to them. I wonder if it wouldn't be a bad idea to spray wax a new blower wheel before installing.
    Anyone ever try that, or have a better idea?
    I checked on the price of new blower wheels. Just that part was more than our labor to remove, clean and reinstall. Plus, we would likely have had to replace the bearings and the shafts if we tried to remove the wheels.

This was a case where TESP didn't mean a thing. The wheels weren't doing any work. Air flow measurement at the return of one was 830 cfm before cleaning. After cleaning we measured 2,145 cfm. That one didn't even have insulation blocking supply ducts. These are 7.5 ton units.

I don't know how a spray wax would work long term.
    It's an upside down world we live in.

6. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes

Sent via ESP...
    This forum requires that you wait 20 seconds between posts. Please try again in 50 seconds.

Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"

Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

Post Likes
    Get what you pay for in maint, imagine what came down the ducts on restart, with a clean wheel. I am glad to not work on garbage like that any more.
    UA Local 32

9. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post

Sent via ESP...
    you got nothin better to do than make jokes?
    if corny was a part on a washing machine,,, he'd be the agitator

“Those who CAST the votes decide nothing; those who COUNT the votes decide everything.” – Stalin even evil men say things worth paying attention to

A Nation of Sheep - Breeds a Government of Wolves

Gangster Al Capone once remarked that anyone who can walk to the welfare office can walk to work.

Post Likes
    that was from a long time ago. It had a crack in it, ruined the motor too. Mainly from all the debris that was jammed in it (not in the picture).

but yes, I have little to do sometimes
    This forum requires that you wait 20 seconds between posts. Please try again in 50 seconds.

Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"

Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."