Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    21,876
    Post Likes

    What ar the differences between SV and SM series ?

    FHP/Bosch has an SV line which is less expensive and an SM line which is more. In an 024 size - what are the actual differences? I can't picture a two stage 024 compressor but: is there?

    Anyway; what are the differences? How different are the SV and the SM?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    1,096
    Post Likes
    According to Bosch's datasheets, the SM is indeed two-speed even in the lowest capacity model (024). I just looked on Copeland's website, and they offer 2-stage scrolls down to 20,000 btu/h low stage, 25,600 btu/h high stage.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    21,876
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Thanks. I was getting nowhere and the customer is bugging me. My office computer is AFU - but only on some websites; elsewhere it's fine.

    So 2 speed compressor - but wait a minute; that's only a 25% capacity reduction! My cost of the SM unit is 200% of the SV and the capacity-control variation is less than 6000 BTU's ? <g>

    PHM
    -------



    Quote Originally Posted by rjk_cmh View Post
    According to Bosch's datasheets, the SM is indeed two-speed even in the lowest capacity model (024). I just looked on Copeland's website, and they offer 2-stage scrolls down to 20,000 btu/h low stage, 25,600 btu/h high stage.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

  4. Likes rjk_cmh liked this post
  5. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,822
    Post Likes
    Sounds like your paying for one more thing to break. Haha


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    21,876
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    First; I don't pay for anything - the customer does.

    And Nope; I am making the same Percentage of profit on a job which They will be paying twice as much for. <g>

    Oh; and I am substantially in the service business - so I prefer when lots of things break. <g>

    PHM
    -------



    Quote Originally Posted by Core_d View Post
    Sounds like your paying for one more thing to break. Haha


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

  7. Likes Chuck liked this post
  8. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    21,876
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Do you work with this equipment much? I sure would like to talk with someone who does. <g>

    My condensing unit selection is an SM024 (N-HX) condensing unit with a horizontal-left-return AH. But . . . . according to the Bosch catalog there are SIX matching AH's - including a 35K unit. Zupwidat? <g>

    Do you know what the differences are between the SM air handlers and the DX air handlers?

    PHM
    -------


    Quote Originally Posted by rjk_cmh View Post
    According to Bosch's datasheets, the SM is indeed two-speed even in the lowest capacity model (024). I just looked on Copeland's website, and they offer 2-stage scrolls down to 20,000 btu/h low stage, 25,600 btu/h high stage.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    1,096
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Do you work with this equipment much? I sure would like to talk with someone who does. <g>

    My condensing unit selection is an SM024 (N-HX) condensing unit with a horizontal-left-return AH. But . . . . according to the Bosch catalog there are SIX matching AH's - including a 35K unit. Zupwidat? <g>

    Do you know what the differences are between the SM air handlers and the DX air handlers?

    PHM
    -------
    Sorry, I don't work with them at all - I sure hope someone comes along that has actual experience with them and posts in this thread.

    According to my review of the datasheets, the DX model is a standard-style 4-way multipoise AH, fan on bottom, A-coil on top, like any other manufacturer. The SM AH is more of a traditional Geo-style box with a slab coil and a side return and a top supply. As far as I can tell, the SM AH is only a water coil, and the DX AH is a DX coil. However, I could be wrong about this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor MagazineThe place where Electrical professionals meet.