Post Likes

where do i Start, ughh...

pictures do not tell the whole story

Choose your contractors wisely. I came to a no cool water leaking situation on Saturday afternoon. Customer had someone out the day before. Told her lines were cleared and freon levels were done, got paid and left. Well Saturday more water leaking, I arrive and immediately take the time to access a very hard to get to evaporator coil to check for dirt. We found 100% clogged coil. This was fully impacted and causing freeze up and water to drop straight down through furnace , soak filter, and run under floor. This coil unfortunately can’t be pulled and cleaned do to home builder making the closet to short and coil to high. We sold this customer a new coil and had some time getting the old one out and new one in..

Apparently that pic with the Plenum notched to go over a stud most likely from when the house was new, who knows, 2013 a new 13 seer trane OD unit R22 BTW was installed and as you can see they hacked, literally a TXV in by cutting huge hole in access door to than pull out the distributor into space and install it than putting a bleed port stub in and attaching bulb with zip tie , taking the door off you can see theres a access port for this inside the Coil area WTF were they thinking? so over the years leading up to my visit this system has been hacked by many techs.. i tried my best to save the customer money by not removing the furnace to get this new coil in but it feels like i went to war, my body is killing me but i did it..couldnt correct the plenum deal but it is sealed..jeez im not perfect by any means but whats wrong with these guys?

that and im curious as the customer has only lived here a little over a year and shes used better pleated filters, was this coil this dirty when she bought the house so even the inspector dropped the ball?

but back to the tech that came before me how do you miss a 100% clogged coil, laziness? they also missed out on money because this woman had no issues paying my asking price for the new coil and TXV to match her OD unit(R22).??
    Attached Images Attached Images        

2. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    I literally had to remove the door frame, than take this old coil out a piece at a time and than the same thing for the new coil pulled it back to bear bones and reassembled in closet.. what ajob!

4. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    Good job!

A couple years ago I had a roof top unit with a 4' x 8' skylight right in the way of the panel to access the evap. No one ever cleaned the evap. Changing filters was even dangerous.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

Post Likes
    WTF happened to that old pan? someone got wild with the torch?

This forum requires that you wait 20 seconds between posts. Please try again in 50 seconds.

Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"

Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    WTF happened to that old pan? someone got wild with the torch?

i believe it was excessive heat from furnace, was very cheap Airflow pan , just couldnt take the heat i guess..

8. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post