Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

HVAC Crimp Fittings

Does anyone have any experience with these? Seems to good to be true...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gbryant View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with these? Seems to good to be true...
    Zoomlock? I just ordered the jaws and a new press tool this week

Post Likes
    If you mean zoomlock then I would stay away from them. Zoomlock has been discussed here multiple times. There may be situations were brazing is not possible then zoomlock may be a good option, but why anyone would choose an oring over a braze is beyond me. Orings are mainly designed to seal parts that have movement or need to be disassembled later. Refrigeration tubing doesn't meet either of those criteria so I see no reason to choose an oring over a braze. Over the years I have replaced more leaking orings than I can even begin to estimate they just simply doesn't last as long as a good metal to metal connection.
    "Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

Post Likes
    Like Pro Press Zoom Lock is here to stay.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Like Pro Press Zoom Lock is here to stay.
    I went feet first into propress years ago, I gave zoomlock a little time before I jumped in, But I haven’t heard of any failures that were properly installed

Post Likes
    I too prefer a brazed joint it's relatively cheap but can be time consuming if you lot's to do, but zoom lock is here to stay. It's kind of like saying: "I'll only use a land line phone because it sounds better and is more reliable".

The area you wish to join together needs to be in a nearly new condition with respect to cleanliness, roundness and scratches. If installed per the instructions the joint will outlast the new unit you are installing. There are ligament reasons to use zoom lock, for me as burn permits become harder to get in many commercial and industrial (hospital) applications

There is a metal to metal seal version (called Lokring) that is available and it will do more than just refrigerant and has all the endorsements (ASME, ANSI, NFPA, etc..), but pricey. They have applications for copper and steel pipe, I think they can go up to 4" copper or Schedule 40 (carbon or stainless steel) pipe. The pipe or tube will fail before the joint does. I was looking to use it recently but the cost got too high. But we'll see how the tradional installation cost and time turns out when the job is done (250 - 4" Schedule 40 carbon steel welds need to be made). The salesman tells me I could save $ on the overall job.

Post Likes
    Just to avoid confusion...zoomlock and lokring are not remotely similar fittings in any fashion other than they don't use a torch. Zoomlock relies on an o-ring to seal and a crimp to hold. For some sizes, you are supposed to crimp twice, or even three or four times according to their latest service bulletin. Lokring relies on a metal-to-metal seal by use of a heavy, permanent compression ring or collar. In either case, the issue should be less about time or strength and more about reliably sealing refrigerant gases.

Post Likes
    In either case, the issue should be less about time or strength and more about reliably sealing refrigerant gases.
    You are correct a typical AC/refrigeration system using R22, R134a, R410a, or similar low toxiicity, non-flamable refrigerants will never need to use a lockrig application. But there are some here that do get into flammable and hazardous refrgerants that it may be a viable choice. With respect to zoomlock failures I've seen / heard about it was caused by the guy putting it together not following the instructions, and did it their way. In my case I needed to meet the requirements of ASME B31.1, 150# class pipe. Copper and brazing just does not get you where I needed to be.

Sorry but speed, time, cost, strength, reliability, potential liability are all factors in doing the job and getting proposal (quotes) accepted, it just depends on the application for which of those things becomes most important. Saving a few hours on the job in some industrial / commercial jobs can make the difference if you get the job or not. Zoomlock (Parker) has done enough testing to show it is a reliable product when installed correctly or the Mechanical Code (same with Pro Press & Plumbing Code) would not allow it to be used.

Good Luck

Post Likes
    I have used lokring but its too expensive. But is fast and good seal. They have a compact version that is used for factory assembly on refrigerators. And i have seen a few of them leak after 3_4 years. Cut them out and braze. But its nice if you have to braze 1 inch from plastic liner. Id say its more usefull in appliance than hvac

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    We have the Rothenberger Tool
    https://www.rothenberger.com.au/en/p...ping-tools-57/

Used it as per the Supply House Specifications ,,, had a few leaks appear during the project & all the fittings were cut out & Brazed.
    The primary function of the design engineer is to make things difficult for the fabricator and impossible for the serviceman.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gbryant View Post
    Seems to good to be true...

In my opinion they are.
    http://srcusa.com/wp-content/uploads...omLock-FAQ.pdf

Note that the expected life of the oring is 30 years.
    Plenty of time to avoid callbacks, but I’m in it for the long haul.
    Eric

Post Likes
    I think Zoom lock is the best option for crimp fitting because it makes crimp fittings simple and faster without brazing. It is specially designed to work without brazing.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennispalmer View Post
    I think Zoom lock is the best option for crimp fitting because it makes crimp fittings simple and faster without brazing. It is specially designed to work without brazing.
    Yeah; the crimp fittings that require brazing suck and I don't like them very much because they were not specifically designed to work without brazing. They are not simpler nor faster.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

14. Likes rjk_cmh liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast