Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by uniservice View Post
    Help an old man,,,,
    How old can you possibly be?

Ohm's Law. Had it pounded into my head way back in 1964, when I was learning the basics.
    OH!

Uh, I mean...oh.

Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    Yes, all you need to remember are two basic equations and to apply some basic algebra:

E = I x R and P = I x E

Where:
    E = Voltage / volts
    I = Current / Amps
    R = Resistance / Ohms
    P = Power / Watts
    I'm surprise how many techs DON'T remember all that. It's forever in MY head. It helps that I used to teach it (as an instructor in the military). I use those formulas often.

Quote Originally Posted by shellkamp View Post
    You're right, but I've just never needed to figure out wattage without having amp draw and voltage - so some of my ohm's law "practical-application-ability" has atrophied since high school electronics class. :grin:
    We deal with resistive loads on cooking equipment more often than you HVAC/R folks. Lotsa heating elements everywhere. Another formula I have to use fairly often is for addressing the prolific use of three-phase heating element configurations...such as in electrically-heated fryers or ovens. Mostly Δ configurations in 'em, but an occasional Y configuration is evident...such as in 480v applications using 277v elements.

Amp draw is calculated differently for three-phase connected elements. Amperage calculations using a basic power (wattage) formula must be divided by the square root of 3 (1.732). The chart below rounds that off to 1.73.
    Credit to Frymaster for this chart:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

"You never know what others don't know." -

If I can't laugh at myself...then I'll laugh at YOU! -

Post Likes
    Used infinite controls (amperage OK) figured out elements, rewired and fired everything up,,,(poor choice of words) Everything checked out. Took cart back to lady, and she is going to sell dogs today. Time and use will tell,,,,,,,,very Ohm's Law. Had it pounded into my head way back in 1964, when I was learning the basics.
    The cool thing about electronics and electrical components is, it's magic smoke, they work till you let the magic smoke out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12