Post Likes

want to learn on hvac controls

hello techs,I see my boss orders control panel from a control company then wires it himself,it controls hvac units he has 30years in the field & I want to be like him,is there any books out there for hvac techs not helpers,that helps them get better in controls ex.conrolling 2units with rib relay one being master or controlling units with timers & things of that nature,any suggetaions or books that easy to read would help,thanks

Post Likes
    I would start by learning proper composition, grammar and the English language. After that download "Honeywell Grey Manual". American Technical Publishing have a good series of books on the subject matter as well. Or you could do what most new DDC techs/programmers do................................................ ............................visit YouTube.

Also search the forum, there are quite a few posts like yours already.

kontrol out
    "Good" - Jocko
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Open protocols? You can't handle open protocols!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora Watch it here!

3. Likes kdean1 liked this post
    Post Likes
    thanks for the suggestions

Post Likes
    Not trying to bust your balls, but most of us think of ourselves as programmers or engineers with a sprinkling of tech. And serious about the grammar / composition which are rule based, controls is also rules based. Don't know the fundamentals you'll never grasp the advanced part. Best of luck on your never ending journey if you decide to take the righteous path.

Ezekiel 25:17. "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you." I been sayin' that shit for years. And if you ever heard it, it meant your ass. I never really questioned what it meant. I thought it was just a cold-blooded thing to say to a mother****er before you popped a cap in his ass. But I saw some shit this mornin' made me think twice. Now I'm thinkin': it could mean you're the evil man. And I'm the righteous man. And Mr. .45 here, he's the shepherd protecting my righteous ass in the valley of darkness. Or it could be you're the righteous man and I'm the shepherd and it's the world that's evil and selfish. I'd like that. But that shit ain't the truth. The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin, Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd.
    AE
    "Good" - Jocko
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora Watch it here!

Post Likes
    Before you learn controls, learn systems. If you know what a system s supposed to do you'll know how to control it.
    Many systems are not controlled correctly because the programmer didn't know the tech side. Some might object to this. I have seen too many technical problems being addressed with another change in a program.
    I should have played the g'tar on the MTV. MK

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

7. Likes BALloyd, stanbyyourword liked this post
    Post Likes
    Amen brother, you need to learn the fundamentals, and it all starts at the equipment. When I started my career it was installing controls and I went to community college for HVAC service because I believed if I was controlling it I should know how it worked. Sounds fundamental doesn't it?

kontrol out
    "Good" - Jocko

9. Likes BALloyd, stanbyyourword, hvacker liked this post
    Post Likes
    then you get exchiller guys turned programmer that struggle with IT side like me!
    Keep it simple to keep it cool!

Post Likes
    yes it does,thanks for the directions

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    Before you learn controls, learn systems. If you know what a system s supposed to do you'll know how to control it.
    Many systems are not controlled correctly because the programmer didn't know the tech side. Some might object to this. I have seen too many technical problems being addressed with another change in a program.
    Absolutely. I've seen some credible, intelligent people write advanced control programs for a unit that that was not performing well. Apparently, the computer won't tell you that the damper linkage was broken and a circuit was running short on gas.

13. Likes stanbyyourword liked this post
    Post Likes
    I was at a prison. I was called because the cell block was very warm. The control guys worked for the same company as I did. The units were 100% outside air and problems had been that the heat coils kept freezing.
    The program continued to be tweaked to close the OSA damper even though the design was for 100% OSA.By the time I was there the OSA dampers were 100% closed.
    I told the facility to antifreeze the hot water system. I don't want to sound like a savior here but before I moved to NM I came from a very cold part of the US so antifreeze was a common option. But the problem was also a lack of understanding by the controls guys. The other question might be why were the dampers programmed to close on a 100% OSA system?
    It's all part of knowing systems.
    I should have played the g'tar on the MTV. MK

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by nytech28 View Post
    hello techs,I see my boss orders control panel from a control company then wires it himself,it controls hvac units he has 30years in the field & I want to be like him,is there any books out there for hvac techs not helpers,that helps them get better in controls ex.conrolling 2units with rib relay one being master or controlling units with timers & things of that nature,any suggetaions or books that easy to read would help,thanks
    nytech28, add your email address into your profile so we can send you more info to help you on your journey.
    If you can't fix it with JB Weld, Duct Tape, and Ty Wire it has to be replaced.
    No good deed goes unpunished.
    If you want to take off friday to go fishing then make sure you train your helper right.

16. Likes stanbyyourword liked this post
    Post Likes
    desert guy,thank you so much just for the kind respond, I wasent aware that my email was missing in my profile will add know.by the way my email is <removed>,thanks again
    Last edited by kontrolphreak; 05-15-2018 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Seriously take a minute to familiarize yourself with the site rules.