Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Likes
    Typically they will run until the piston travel upward gets so exaggerated that the piston hits the valve plate. Not running smooth and not running quiet - but still pumping. <g>

The store is closed now but I worked on one that was so loud that the store's customers complained and the vibration had broken almost everything about the installation at various times. Probably that one had a piston actually kissing the valve plate the last time I saw it. It was in a store room and the Indian owners piled boxes of product to the ceiling around it. They were forever demanding that I make it run quiet but they were adamant that a "still working" compressor could not be replaced: "don't be ridiculous - just make it more quiet." <g>

I have some much more funny stories about that Indian family. And some sad ones too unfortunately.

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by stat View Post
    I have seen compressors with what I diagnosed as wrist pin slap run for YEARS. The roof top condenser I am thinking of drove the neighbors CRAZY and it ran for at least 10 years that way. In the short time I did not have the account, someone else changed the compressor.

Again, I don't actually know that it was wrist pin slap.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    An Indian store owner that would not authorize work? Tell me it ain't so!

Some Indians are among my best customers, others I fired along the way...

3. Likes VTP99 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Thanks.

I know how the wrist pin lube collection hole and the 'pumping action' of the wrist pin in it's bore works. From smash-lube engines - but the principle is the same.

What I never knew / thought about, until you educated me, was that a broken discharge valve constant-loading the piston crown destroys the small-end of the connecting rod by eliminating the load-transfer pumping action. <g>

It's obvious now that you've detailed it - and I am always delighted to learn new things - but, in my previous ignorance, I had always pointed at wrist pin lube oil collection 'clogging' due to contaminated lube oil as the culprit.

I thank you!

PHM
    --------
    My pleasure.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123