Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 43
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    284
    Post Likes
    VDI 3813 is an example of integration.

  2. #15
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Southeast
    Posts
    490
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterDuck View Post
    VDI 3813 is an example of integration.
    WTF... Seriously..?

    https://youtu.be/zi8ShAosqzI

  3. Likes orion242 liked this post
  4. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    284
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jbeckham View Post
    WTF... Seriously..?

    https://youtu.be/zi8ShAosqzI
    refine your search terms

  5. #17
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Southeast
    Posts
    490
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterDuck View Post
    refine your search terms
    Hahahaha... no. It's not that important to me.

    Thread out!

  6. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    284
    Post Likes
    It's important to others because there would be no tagging Honeywell, tridium jace or Viagra network, because it doesn't exist in that integration market

  7. #19
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Southeast
    Posts
    490
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterDuck View Post
    It's important to others because there would be no tagging Honeywell, tridium jace or Viagra network, because it doesn't exist in that integration market
    I don't understand what you're trying to covey here..? If you're calling integration the process of wrapping up the HVAC, lighting and blinds, access and security, irrigation, cold storage, de-icing, MCP, etc., etc., etc., etc.. Then that is what I would consider integration too, at least in regards to it being something above and beyond any communication protocols and network physical layers. However, I don't necessarily need to have an industry association or government agency tell me how to do work for my clients. I just need my clients to tell me what they want, and I'll tell them how much I'll charge them to do it...

    Our exchanges on this topic, in my opinion, only go to further my statement about the controls industry being a convoluted mess.

  8. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    284
    Post Likes
    Integration involves more than simply communication.
    If you think that you are simply communicating to a bunch of subsystems like islands for VDI 3813 you are mistaken.
    It is harmonious interoperation at the terminal level of the components.
    No middleware box island makers passing proprietary OPC data between them.
    In at least for one manufacturer I know, communication (protocols) are simply properties of integration.

    "However, I don't necessarily need to have an industry association or government agency tell me how to do work for my clients."-- You have your licensed boxes telling you how much fees they charge you controlling part of your decisions, including how much controller hardware you will buy. You have disingenuous industry organizations such as ASHRAE BACnet pushing you to specific implementations not based on performance, ridiculous monopolistic and unaccountable organizations such as UL, and your local inspector and codes telling you how you are going to work for your clients.

  9. #21
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Southeast
    Posts
    490
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterDuck View Post
    Integration involves more than simply communication.
    If you think that you are simply communicating to a bunch of subsystems like islands for VDI 3813 you are mistaken.
    It is harmonious interoperation at the terminal level of the components.
    No middleware box island makers passing proprietary OPC data between them.
    In at least for one manufacturer I know, communication (protocols) are simply properties of integration.

    "However, I don't necessarily need to have an industry association or government agency tell me how to do work for my clients."-- You have your licensed boxes telling you how much fees they charge you controlling part of your decisions, including how much controller hardware you will buy. You have disingenuous industry organizations such as ASHRAE BACnet pushing you to specific implementations not based on performance, ridiculous monopolistic and unaccountable organizations such as UL, and your local inspector and codes telling you how you are going to work for your clients.
    The main problem I see with what you've stated here is that it's just not the reality of what is.., and (IMO) won't be in my lifetime... Also, are you a hardware manufacturer? Are you making something that is better than what's currently available? I'm still struggling to see the point of your argument(s) against my initial comments that you replied to..?

  10. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    524
    Post Likes
    "You have disingenuous industry organizations such as ASHRAE BACnet pushing you to specific implementations not based on performance, ridiculous monopolistic and unaccountable organizations such as UL, and your local inspector and codes telling you how you are going to work for your clients."

    It must be exhausting to be you.

  11. Likes xarralu, orion242 liked this post
  12. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    284
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jbeckham View Post
    The main problem I see with what you've stated here is that it's just not the reality of what is.., and (IMO) won't be in my lifetime... Also, are you a hardware manufacturer? Are you making something that is better than what's currently available? I'm still struggling to see the point of your argument(s) against my initial comments that you replied to..?
    It is a reality because it is being sold and installed worldwide.

    Even companies like Distech are jumping onboard in the USA having Acuity salespeople go around trying to sell their new product offering.

    What is this "not the reality of what is"?

  13. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Fresno,CA
    Posts
    14
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by tridiumtech View Post
    ControlsPAC

    I don't see your email address in your profile. I'd be happy to send you my 'ninja' guide on Tridium - the integration 'lord' - IMHO.

    tridiumtech
    I've updated my email if i can still get a copy of that guide always trying to learn more!!

  14. #25
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Southeast
    Posts
    490
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterDuck View Post
    It is a reality because it is being sold and installed worldwide.

    Even companies like Distech are jumping onboard in the USA having Acuity salespeople go around trying to sell their new product offering.

    What is this "not the reality of what is"?
    I think there is something (dunno what) that I'm missing about what you're trying to say here with all this.., and I am one of the companies in the US that's selling Distech and Acuity... So.., again, I dunno what you're getting at with these comments..?

  15. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Fresno,CA
    Posts
    14
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by jbeckham View Post
    It would be way more efficient for you to just explain to us what you consider integration to be..? Because, so far, you've only told us what you think it isn't...
    My interpretation of integration is taking a 3rd party device and being able to bring it into your platform such as tridium and able to read points override outputs. Now the Alexa into Tridium is what i consider integration which is writing a little bit of code java, html5, Css. Now what would you consider an integration to consist of. I'm green but trying to steer in the right direction. I'm like a sponge trying to absorb everything worth some kind of value in our industry.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor MagazineThe place where Electrical professionals meet.