Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Lightbulb I would like to introduce myself.

Hello gentlemen,
    My name is Oleg and I have been reading a lot of the posts on this awesome platform. I am impressive with some of the material. I would like to thank you for the many laughs and hysterical comments. Anyways, I am a younger head that lives in Southern California. I jumped into this business by learning from my dad. I was in and out of his truck for about 10 years. Helping him out here and there. I didn't really pay attention much until I got heavily interested about three years ago. Currently, I have a small business and I repair and service AC/Heaters, Major Appliances and restaurant fridges/freezers. I am dabbling in the installation scene, but I'm still fresh, so I subcontract to an older gentleman in my city. I visit the site and I am soaking up the knowledge from his long-term crew of installers.

I like the feedback I received on the whole "conversion" aspect of drop in's and the 407c options. Too bad I didn't read it before I installed two scrolls with POE in one day for an R-22 system. . I like the idea of 407c in r22 systems. Additionally, I like some feedback I read on freeze ups.

In general, from my observations, it is best to ask for help by providing data. I see some young heads get roasted .

Basically, I don't want to be the beer can cold suction line type of guy. Started using my 460 for more than just pressures. I am more aware of the way a unit is performing and what little tricks to look for. Mind you I do my due diligence in researching and finding a credible source. Overall, I am impressed and would like to be a part of this community. I like to sit back and observe, but I will start posting to get up to the Pro thread.

Thanks for the read.

2. Likes VTP99, HVAC_Marc, Fender60 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your questions and contributions.

As you have probably read, the bulk of hard core technical troubleshooting information and guidance is found in the “PRO” forums.

Get that post count up and submit your request to become a Professional Member. Once a “PRO”, you will also be granted access into the “Educational Forum”, which i’m sure you will find very helpful.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

4. Likes VTP99, ga-hvac-tech liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by OGlad View Post
    I like the feedback I received on the whole "conversion" aspect of drop in's and the 407c options. Too bad I didn't read it before I installed two scrolls with POE in one day for an R-22 system. . I like the idea of 407c in r22 systems. Additionally, I like some feedback I read on freeze ups.
    Not sure what posts you're referring to here or what exactly you're talking about, but I wanted to point out that POE is fine in an R22 system. Basically POE works with everything. That's why almost all compressors come with that stuff in it now.

Also, I wanted to point out that R407C isn't exactly a "drop in". R407C is supposed to use POE. If it's going into an old system with Alkylbenzene or Mineral oil in it, you are supposed to change it out to POE, or at least add a small amount of POE to help the oil return to the compressor. It seems that there's a lot of confusion around this topic and I don't think a lot of people actually know this (or want to know this).

It has been reported that if an old system is "upgraded" to POE oil, you might find that anything with a seal or gasket in it might start leaking. It's a good idea to change out all of your schrader cores if doing this conversion.

Oh yeah, and welcome to the group!
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

6. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post
    Post Likes
    Welcome to H-talk... the PRO's forum for HVAC/R!

I would like to second the suggestion to get your post count up and apply for PRO status.
    What you see in the public section is just a small teaser to what you will find behind the PRO door...
    Find the link to apply and do so... note it takes a few weeks to vet your credentials...
    One day you will see 'Professional member' under your name... and you will then have access to the PRO section.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

Post Likes
    I think it has more to do with the refrigerant than the oil.

Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    Not sure what posts you're referring to here or what exactly you're talking about, but I wanted to point out that POE is fine in an R22 system. Basically POE works with everything. That's why almost all compressors come with that stuff in it now.

Also, I wanted to point out that R407C isn't exactly a "drop in". R407C is supposed to use POE. If it's going into an old system with Alkylbenzene or Mineral oil in it, you are supposed to change it out to POE, or at least add a small amount of POE to help the oil return to the compressor. It seems that there's a lot of confusion around this topic and I don't think a lot of people actually know this (or want to know this).

It has been reported that if an old system is "upgraded" to POE oil, you might find that anything with a seal or gasket in it might start leaking. It's a good idea to change out all of your schrader cores if doing this conversion.

If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

Post Likes
    Sure likes eating the o rings in my hoses if I don't keep them separated.

10. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post

Poodle Head Mikey, in numerous threads, says he had no problem with using 407c in mineral systems as long as you use a lubricant and have at least 20% of POE oil in the mix to help with oil return. It makes sense to me that If I'm swapping a ZR scroll out that has a POE oil tag on it to refill with 407c. Shredder valves is a must of course. I swap them out in any case; they're cheap.

I have used 407c a few times when I converted an old 22 condenser to a Evcon or something from Johnston. I forget the name, I have a few pics in my phone. It was only a handful of units, but the 407 performed well. I was paranoid that mineral oil needs to be out of the system so I was stuck pushing nitro and R11 flush. Those units performed well, thus I don't mind using that refrigerant.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Sure likes eating the o rings in my hoses if I don't keep them separated.
    Dang, I should buy two separate sets

Post Likes
    Dang, I should buy two separate sets

Post Likes
    New today could be old tomorrow! If you don't have a Service Manager to keep up with the changes,then it's up to the tech. But that's what keeps this Trade interesting! And frustrating.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC/R 19 View Post
    New today could be old tomorrow! If you don't have a Service Manager to keep up with the changes,then it's up to the tech. But that's what keeps this Trade interesting! And frustrating.
    not sure what you mean .

Post Likes
    not sure what you mean .
    Refrigerants,Oil. What goes with what. What does what. What works Best? Getting crowded with all the choices. Most companies should have a Service Manager to help make those decisions. If not then it's on the Tech!

Post Likes
    Yes sir! Technology changes quickly. Next thing you know, you're opening up a RUUD condenser unit that is almost 6 feet tall. It has a variable speed condenser motor and a variable speed compressor. The control board is the size of a book. It's probably best to take a few classes they offer from each manufacturer. Tax write off, but the knowledge is priceless.

18. Likes SkullMonkey liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast