Post Likes

HVAC Mechanical License

I work at a large Michigan hospital in the HVACR trade for 35 years. I have a college degree in HVAC, Universal Certified . Worked under a guy who had a mechanical contractors license for 3 years under the table. When it came to sign, he made some lame excuse why he couldn't sign the papers. Is there a way around this so I can get my mechanical license without having to work under a Master License for another 3 years? Does my 35 years in the trade not count for anything?

Thanks

Carl

Post Likes
    Check w/ the local Licensing Dept.I think that those 35 years should count for something. To have your entire future in the hands of just one co-worker is a little crazy. He could of had his head handed to him by his wife and he is AGGRAVATED at the world and you were the 1st to step in front of his "blood red" eyes. Or something like that. Go for it!!!

3. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    When he admits to paying under the table, he opens himself to big fines from the IRS and workers compensation. BIG fines.
    It will probably catch up with him some time.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

5. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    Thanks for all the info

Post Likes
    Call and talk to the LARA, it's the only way to get a clear answer. No matter what you will have to sit for the master exam. There are ways to show qualifiaction and not work under a master. The LARA may require you to take the journeyman test as well. If I understand your posting correctly you worked for the hospital correct? The hospital can attest and or certify how long you worked for them and or provide what your duties are/were

I just looked at the Michigan master application there is no place for your employer (or the guy you worked under) to sign. You attest that you have 3 years of work experience at a journeyman level in one or a combination HVAC areas they have listed. You give them some money and ask to sit to take the master test.

I did not see that you need a license to be a journryman HVAC repair guy in Michigan but suspect yes you do. I did see discussion of classroom and on the job trianing and what apprentiships need to provide. Basicly some classroom and 8000 hours (4 years) on the job training. I suspect if you are not a registered journeyman the review board will ask for proof of training and or work experience. This is where the hospital can come to your help again as they can show proof of employment and what your job duties are/were. If the guy you worked under is not the maintenance manager go talk to them about writting you a letter stating you work in the HVAC field for XX years. Hospitals and other larger entities who are self-insured can train and allow their workers to work on their own equipment at a journeyman level without actually holding a state or local license.

Give the LARA board a call

8. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post