Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Likes
    This tech is leaving the state to be with his elderly parents. Dad is in bad shape and Mom can't care for him herself.

Lost 2 installers to a competitor knocking on one guy's door and promising him the world if he came on board. Took his partner with him. I hope all they were promised pays off for them.

Post Likes
    Here an old rses article.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

3. Likes baub, buttwheat liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    Here an old rses article.
    Wow, service and installation costs figured at $3 per hour! That’s a different era.
    Worry is a really gross misuse of one's imagination. -- PHM

Post Likes
    Just to show you how much I under-bid all of the other greenies graduating from HVAC tech school, I told this guy I'd work for him for $5 per hour. That was well over 30 years after that article was published. And it's been a good career for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Wow, service and installation costs figured at $3 per hour! That’s a different era.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by timebuilder View Post
    If the pay was right, we could attract the more talented kids. We may not like that idea, but there are so many good paying jobs that allow those kids to write code and play games that it will take "money, honey" to get them to work in HVACR.
    I agree with most of what you say. What numbers are you looking for when you say the pay is right? Give me a rough number. Say for a tech with 5 years so he has a half decent idea what hes doing and in an average cost of living area? $100k? $200k? Plus a full benefit package of course. Give me a ballpark pay scale.

There are are companies who pay well, lots of them. The demand is so high for experienced techs that I can basically write my own paycheck. So Im not seeing the super low pay youre talking about, unless you expect $200k per year or something. Even the residential contractor I left 4 years ago would pay me well to come back.
    Worry is a really gross misuse of one's imagination. -- PHM

Post Likes
    One problem regarding pay, especially for those entering the field, might be how much they want when they know so little.

We've entered a different era all together. When us ol' guys were kids, we HAD to work on our cars; no other choice.

We became adept with our hands and tools before we ever got into the trade.

There is also the 'delayed gratification' aspect. Nowadays, we want it, and we want it now. The kids are even more so, they expect it to be there before they even want it.

At this point, it's really more in the hands of the people/companies paying for the service. We, as the service techs and/or service company owners, don't have a whole lot of say in the matter. If the customers want cheap, they find cheap. If the customers have critical equipment, or are losing monies because production equipment is down, they'll pay the premium to get it done ASAP.

As mentioned in another thread, we had a new hire ride with me for a couple months. I think he began questioning if this was the right trade for him. Because riding with me, he saw how much he didn't know. I told him to stick with it, and in a few years he'd be in a good position. He also got to see his competition, because I'm the guy the other techs call when they can't figure something out, and he quickly learned about the deficiencies of others.

He's doing pretty decent now. Still can't grasp the electrical troubleshooting, but in time, that light bulb will brighten up!
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

8. Likes GoCougs liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123