Thread: Stat Wire Type and Install Quirk

Post Likes

Stat Wire Type and Install Quirk

Hi Guys,

I need to run a new stat wire between the AHU and outside Condenser. Am thinking of running up the outside wall into the attic BUT there is one obstacle in the way - soffits. So two quick questions:

1) Is it okay to use sprinkler wire instead of stat? I noticed the insulation with sprinkler wire is thicker (both casing and wires) and since I'm in Florida with direct sunlight on that side of the house, it seems sprinkler wire would be a more durable choice for running up the outside of the house. Or is there any reason I should stay with conventional stat wire?

2) Any suggestions for getting up through aluminum soffits? Is there any technique short of ripping the house apart? First inclination is to just drill (or Dremel) a tiny opening and try to feed fish tape into the attic?

Thanks for any help,

Sonic

Post Likes
    Make holes with anything you feel comfortable with. If it's not a communicating system any wire 18 gauge and above will be adequate.
    Nest is POO!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in