Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,350
    Post Likes

    Scalia - Ginsburg Friendship

    There are many many articles online about the friendship between the two Supreme Court Justices. The below is just one example.

    https://www.forbes.com/sites/bruceka.../#55bc770a6ba8

    I point this to those on either extreme about how our interactions should be with those of differing opinions. Scalia and Ginsburg almost never agreed, but they respected each other's intellect and logic.

    Maybe more of us should keep their example in mind.

  2. Likes Special-K liked this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    napping on the couch
    Posts
    9,239
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by davidadavis View Post
    There are many many articles online about the friendship between the two Supreme Court Justices. The below is just one example.

    https://www.forbes.com/sites/bruceka.../#55bc770a6ba8

    I point this to those on either extreme about how our interactions should be with those of differing opinions. Scalia and Ginsburg almost never agreed, but they respected each other's intellect and logic.

    Maybe more of us should keep their example in mind.
    I disagree with much of you political positions yet I consider you a good guy. If we were neighbors, we would be friends and I wouldn't let political differences interfere. They wouldn't even be a factor. At least on my side.

    Many friends I have are liberals. We don't let those differences blow up our friendship. It's one difference we may have compared to thousands of similarities.

    ARP is not real life. We discuss political and social issues. That's it.


    As a side note, the VAST majority of friends of mine who consider themselves "Liberals" are nothing of the sort. They just fall into that bias trap of the left. I talk about it often. CNN is on in their work break room and their doctors office. They glance at the headlines in the checkout line. They watch Jimmy Kimmel. etc. But if you leave politics out of the discussion and just talk about specific subjects, they are as conservative as. They are the 10 or 15% of Democrat votes I speak about often. The votes they wouldn't get if not for the unabashed bias in the everyday media and entertainment.







    Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
    “Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.”
    -Possibly said by Thomas Jefferson(but true even if he didn't)


    “What one generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace.”
    ― Definitely said by John Wesley


    "One out of 3 Democrat voters is just as stupid as the other two"
    -Said by me

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,350
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    83, I agree we would be friends in real life and that ARP isn’t real life... but you loose me at the liberals are stuck in a trap... I could say the same thing about you but it wouldn’t get us anywhere.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    5,550
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian8383 View Post
    I disagree with much of you political positions yet I consider you a good guy. If we were neighbors, we would be friends and I wouldn't let political differences interfere. They wouldn't even be a factor. At least on my side.

    Many friends I have are liberals. We don't let those differences blow up our friendship. It's one difference we may have compared to thousands of similarities.

    ARP is not real life. We discuss political and social issues. That's it.


    As a side note, the VAST majority of friends of mine who consider themselves "Liberals" are nothing of the sort. They just fall into that bias trap of the left. I talk about it often. CNN is on in their work break room and their doctors office. They glance at the headlines in the checkout line. They watch Jimmy Kimmel. etc. But if you leave politics out of the discussion and just talk about specific subjects, they are as conservative as. They are the 10 or 15% of Democrat votes I speak about often. The votes they wouldn't get if not for the unabashed bias in the everyday media and entertainment.







    Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
    I know several people that say they hate Trump and say you would of had to be an idiot to have voted for him. Then I list the things he's done and they like most of them. And then I list the things that Hillary would have done and they hate them. Then they just look at me with a blank look on their face.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    36,811
    Post Likes
    We do seem to live in a society where folks cannot handle reality...

    As to liberals and conservatives being friends...

    Yeah... those of us who have matured beyond childish things...
    Have compassion for the ones who have yet too...

    [grin]
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    napping on the couch
    Posts
    9,239
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by newoldtech View Post
    I know several people that say they hate Trump and say you would of had to be an idiot to have voted for him. Then I list the things he's done and they like most of them. And then I list the things that Hillary would have done and they hate them. Then they just look at me with a blank look on their face.
    Yeah. There is no doubt that the media and Hollywood/Entertainment adds 10-20% to the Democrat vote tally.

    Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
    “Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.”
    -Possibly said by Thomas Jefferson(but true even if he didn't)


    “What one generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace.”
    ― Definitely said by John Wesley


    "One out of 3 Democrat voters is just as stupid as the other two"
    -Said by me

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    6,868
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by davidadavis View Post
    There are many many articles online about the friendship between the two Supreme Court Justices. The below is just one example.

    https://www.forbes.com/sites/bruceka.../#55bc770a6ba8

    I point this to those on either extreme about how our interactions should be with those of differing opinions. Scalia and Ginsburg almost never agreed, but they respected each other's intellect and logic.

    Maybe more of us should keep their example in mind.
    It's certainly something to aspire to - but I have trouble enough tolerating even those on my side of the isle. I think the extreme on your side would drive me right over the edge.
    Is the Religious Right to blame for Christianity's decline?

    They argued that, as the Religious Right became increasingly visible and militant, it became associated with Christianity itself. And if being a Christian meant being associated with the likes of Jerry Falwell, many people—especially political moderates and liberals—decided to simply stop identifying as Christians altogether.

    http://www.theamericanconservative.c...nitys-decline/

  9. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post
  10. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,350
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtinhvac View Post
    It's certainly something to aspire to - but I have trouble enough tolerating even those on my side of the isle. I think the extreme on your side would drive me right over the edge.
    I certainly don’t expect it on ARP, but thought it was about time for a positive thread.

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,350
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by newoldtech View Post
    I know several people that say they hate Trump and say you would of had to be an idiot to have voted for him. Then I list the things he's done and they like most of them. And then I list the things that Hillary would have done and they hate them. Then they just look at me with a blank look on their face.
    Just curious, what do you say Trump has done?

    And what do you say Hillary would have?

    I can say for Trump that I liked the corporate tax change (but not the personal tax change). And although North Korea isn’t a high priority I do like the way he’s handled Kim.

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    6,868
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by davidadavis View Post
    I certainly don’t expect it on ARP, but thought it was about time for a positive thread.
    I'm all for a positive thread. I would like to think someone has tried a "what do we have in common thread" at some point; however I can't recall one specifically. I'd wager there are a whole lot more folks hangin' out somewhere around the center, close enough to brush up against folks walking up the isle; than there are raving and ranting extremes. It's just hard to imagine it sometimes with all the clatter on behalf of a few characters.

    There would likely be a sixty-five page argument on what counts as extremes and what is closer to center...
    Is the Religious Right to blame for Christianity's decline?

    They argued that, as the Religious Right became increasingly visible and militant, it became associated with Christianity itself. And if being a Christian meant being associated with the likes of Jerry Falwell, many people—especially political moderates and liberals—decided to simply stop identifying as Christians altogether.

    http://www.theamericanconservative.c...nitys-decline/

  13. Likes davidadavis, ga-hvac-tech liked this post
  14. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    36,811
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by davidadavis View Post
    I certainly don’t expect it on ARP, but thought it was about time for a positive thread.
    While anything is possible...

    I kinda doubt a positive thread is gonna happen much here...
    Just the nature of the place.

    There are other political forums where discussion is more positive...
    It is, IMO, in the attitudes of the posters.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor MagazineThe place where Electrical professionals meet.