Post Likes

HELP, condensor not working and I'm lost!

Hi, I figured I'd ask some people with more experience than myself about this.
    We have a york ac unit outside (can post model later if needed) I believe it is pretty old though. And we have a natural gas furnace with air handler in our crawlspace hanging horizontal.
    Last year our ac stop cooling and after messing with some basic stuff and finding nothing I just gave up and used window units.
    Well the last week I have tore into it all deeply to fix the issue but so far am having no luck.
    For starters, ir all has proper power, tstat is honeywell lyric and works fine, it is wired with common to the furnace, then from furnace board common and yellow go to the condensor outside. The fuse on the board is fine, all connections are fine, I rerun all new tstat wire from it to furnace and furnace to ac.
    I then tore into the ac unit, pulled it all apart and cleaned...I had tested the contactor first and here is what I got...120 at both inputs and 120 at both outputs with no call for cooling, I got 25v on the right side and nothing on the left with call for cooling. So I thought that the contactor should only be hot on input side and not on the other until the contactor closed?
    So I dissasembled it and was filthy and pitted so I cleaned, sanded and it's like new. I test ohms from right input to top right and got nothing open and 6 closed and got the same on all other terminals from the top right and input when closed and not the right input when closed.
    So that doesn't seem correct to me.
    There is a red wire coming off the top left terminal going to the com on the cap, then a yellow on the com as well going to the compressor, brown on the fan going to fan and purple on the herm going to the fan.
    I research for days now and have yet to find wiring like mine so I don't know if it's correct.
    So when I turn on call for ac the fan kicks on but not the condensor. Blows outside temp air, both vapor and liquid lines are outside temp like nothings in em at all.
    I have tested everything I can and all checks out except I'm not sure if the com wire from the furnace to the contactor should be 24v as well as the yellow...didn't think it did since the contactor closed anyways.
    But having 120 on all terminal with it open doesn't make sense...all I have read says only the input end will have 120, but that doesn't make sense either because the contactor is built on the left side with a solI'd connector plate from input to top which the top then feeds the other side top as well as the com on the cap...therefor when the contactor closes I'm not sure what it's even connecting since all have power already.
    So any advice on how it should be, is it fine, what else should I look into?
    I know it shouldn't be a leak or clogged coolant line (r22 btw) because it worked fine and then in a matter of minutes it wasnt.
    So idk what could have caused the compressor to shut off and stay off since nothing can really be found bad.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Post Likes
    Sorry, we can’t offer DIY assistance.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Post Likes
    I'm not understamding...read rules and it just said I fan ask any questions ...where would I go for help then?

Post Likes
    The red banner at the top of the page states no DIY advice will be given.
    There are other sites that specialize in DIY assistance.
    Here’s a copy of the rules just to clear things up

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....NO-DIY-Why-NOT
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Post Likes
    Our site is for homeowner assistance with dealing and understanding contractor information.

It does not teach homeowners how to repair or service equipment.

The underlying safety from understanding what is happening cannot be learned from a few posts.

We can't know your or anyone else that would read your Post's level of safety knowledge.

Sorry.

Best answer we can give is to find yourself a good service tech.

Or take some mechanical and electrical courses in a community college or trade school.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit