Post Likes

peerless purfire

converted a two-family house from a single Burnham oil boiler to two separate purfire gas boilers so each apartment has its own system, reused the existing megastore indirect for the first floor and added a peerless indirect for the second floor.
    Name:  IMG_0346.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  193.9 KBName:  IMG_0347.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  189.0 KBName:  IMG_0345.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  165.6 KB

Post Likes
    That’s beautiful work!! I’m sure the tenants and homeowner will be happy. Love the electrical, way to put a light for service .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Nice job! Is there a reason for having the fuel shut off on the wrong side of the union?

Post Likes
    Nice catch that is strange lol. Maybe there’s another up line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pnasty View Post
    Nice job! Is there a reason for having the fuel shut off on the wrong side of the union?
    normally i would have the union after the valve but the purefire comes from the factory with that valve like that on the boiler. it wasn't worth taking it off and re-piping it just to have the union after the valve

Post Likes
    Gotchya, is there at least a shut off further up the gas line? Not going to be able to change anything out in the future.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pnasty View Post
    Gotchya, is there at least a shut off further up the gas line? Not going to be able to change anything out in the future.
    since the only reason to take that union apart would be to replace the boiler and the only other apliance in the house is a gas range you can turn the gas off at the meter expesially since the meters are also in the basement

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dansterowts View Post
    since the only reason to take that union apart would be to replace the boiler and the only other apliance in the house is a gas range you can turn the gas off at the meter expesially since the meters are also in the basement
    Yeah, but an inspector would have failed it where I am. They make us put the shutoff valve before the dirt leg. Also, they wouldn't have liked the blue teflon tape either. Needs to be yellow tape or pipe dope.

I do give you points for actually threading the black pipe and using solder on the copper pipes, and using the brass tees and stuff. You do nice work!

If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Post Likes
    One more thing (edit... actually 2), do the instructions say anything about using pvc vs cpvc for the flue pipes? I haven't done a lot of boiler installs like that, but I think a few that I have done have either recommended schedule 80 cpvc for the flue, or to set the water temperature lower if using regular pvc.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Also, where is the condensate going. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like it goes right into a pipe sticking out of the cement? How does that work?
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    One more thing (edit... actually 2), do the instructions say anything about using pvc vs cpvc for the flue pipes? I haven't done a lot of boiler installs like that, but I think a few that I have done have either recommended schedule 80 cpvc for the flue, or to set the water temperature lower if using regular pvc.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Also, where is the condensate going. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like it goes right into a pipe sticking out of the cement? How does that work?
    pvc is aproved by peerless to use. diferent manufactures have diferent recomendations but most of them aprove pvc for use. the condensate goes to a pvc pipe that is trenched below the concrete slab and run to the sump pump pit

Post Likes
    pvc is aproved by peerless to use. diferent manufactures have diferent recomendations but most of them aprove pvc for use. the condensate goes to a pvc pipe that is trenched below the concrete slab and run to the sump pump pit
    You CANNOT use PVC if your flue temp is above 140. Regardless of the approval of the boiler OEM. Above 140 you are required to use CPVC or SS.
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"

Glennac - Failed my biology test today: They asked, "What is commonly found in cells?" Apparently "BL*** people" wasn't the correct answer.
    Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

Post Likes
    There is another reason to open the Union is to work on the gas valve and everything else that’s on the gas line inside the boiler. I understand that this house seems simple in its gas piping. What would you do if you had a ew of these boilers off the same meter inside an apartment building? You’d have to shut down the whole boiler room to service one.
    UA Proud
    Local 539 Minneapolis Pipefitters