Post Likes

Belimo new Energy Valves (PICCV) reliability/service/maintenance input needed

Hi All, was just curious if anyone here could offer me some feedback on these valves from Belimo. We are currently leaning towards utilizing these in a new buildout with Trane VAV's with hot water reheat. Has anyone had any issues with these? We will be adding strainers since it seems they are prone to clogging up. There is a 5 year warranty, but am concerned with the long term VS a standard (PD valve) that was originally spec'd for the buildout. Any input would be appreciated. Here is the website for more info. Ours will all be 3/4 size valves at each VAV. (www.energyvalve.com) Thank you in advance.

Post Likes
    Havent delt with the exact application that youre dealing with but i know we almost exclusively use belimo actuators anytime we need something and they have been very reliable. They have excellent customer service in our area as well. That being said if the engineer spec’d a specific brand i would use that brand just to c.y.a.

Post Likes
    I dont think I've used those specific valves but I have used lots of belimo.

Strainer is a must. I cant fathom why youd use a valve with out one.

I have seen a couple cracked valve bodies but in a hospital with hundreds of these valves its not bad. Remember they are mass produced and things can happen in manufacturing that pass QC.

The biggest issue I've been having with them is the actuators coming off the valve bodies. This is mainly due to the installing contractor not using the longer screw included with the valves to make up for the extra distance for the type of circuit setter they used. The screws will torque down but after a while work themselves loose.

I went to a training on these valves. I remember the belimo guy saying they were mainly designed for chilled water applications. You can use them for HHW but if I remember right the savings were negligible. Considering the cost of these valves at over 1k MSRP (from what I remember) doesnt seem to be worth it for small reheat coils.

Post Likes
    Thanks for your feedback. We have decided to stray aways from these due to too many unknowns of impact since we are adding to an existing system with 3 way valves and CV pumps with and primary secondary setup with the new system being VFD pumps and 2 way valves pulling from same primary loop.