Post Likes

York YK Chiller Thrust bearing sensor calibration

I am currently dealing with a chiller that has been down for two years. It had no oil or refrigerant in the system and the owner stated it was taken off line due to the main shaft seal blowing out oil. I replaced the seal based on the owners word that it was leaking and allowing to much oil to come threw the seal into the housing. The guide vane actuator was ripped of the shaft and the actuator was replaced and calibrated. After cleaning the tubes and recharging the system with oil and refrigerant I started the system. First I had problems with a no start condition. Single phasing and thermistors going out of range. I have meg ohmed the motor and found nothing. I checked all the connections and fuses, VSD and boards look good. I had cleaned all the connections and thermistors and problems solved. I replaced a actuator position sensor on a bray pneumatic water valve and returned the next day. The chiller stared right up and ran for two days with no issues. Today the owner text me telling me that the thrust bearing mil jumped to -12 mils. Anyone have thoughts and advise on what is going on. I suspect the sensor and calibration problem. I need info on calibration procedure for this system. And a way to reference the original position. I will be returning to look for the start up info and reference on the board. I just hope it is there.

Post Likes
    There should be a sticker on the inside of the control door , single line or Optiview. That will have the mills from when the compressor was built. If the calibration won’t take there is a kit to change to the new style. Make sure you have a good look at the bearing. After sitting that long you may have lost it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Likes CHILLERSVCMAN liked this post
    Post Likes
    Some times a surge will cause the trip. Sometimes at start up if the water temps are wildly apart as the pumps come on the charge moves around enough to shift to gears. Try to calibrate and see if it goes back to normal.

Post Likes
    Have to be a bit careful here as this is a YK with VSD so unless you really know what you are doing you should not go near it until you have had training.
    The proximity sensor generally runs in 2 positions, low lift it will be around 0 mils and high lift it will run between -12 to -15 mils , but as Chev states you have to ensure it has been calibrated as per the reference sticker. It may all be fine or it could turn into a catastrophe, shaft seals blowing out could indicate excess axial movement on the low speed shaft for instance or problems with the alignment or motor magnetic center. I would seek expert advice and a clear history of what has happened on site , i do hope it continues to run ok for you but i feel disaster on the horizon possibly.

6. Likes CHILLERSVCMAN liked this post
    Post Likes
    Being open for two years could be a real wreak. A lot of things could come out of the woods so to speak.

8. Likes CHILLERSVCMAN liked this post
    Post Likes
    Was the machine at atmospheric pressure or did it have a nitrogen holding charge ? There could be excessive internal rust build-up that needs to be addressed . What level of ambient humidity was the idle chiller exposed with no refrigerant or nitrogen ? There is a YORK procedure for machines idle in storage .

Post Likes
    Low humidity in the desert boss. I was not informed of the shutdown. I don't think they even did one. If they did no one working there even knows anymore. I ask a lot of questions and got a dumb look of total confusion and no answer. I cleaned the tubes and had oil testing done on the outset. The tubes were eddy current tested and the oil that was left came back clean as a whistle. I informed the owners I would do thus much but I was not responsible for anything I could not test or see due to the long term down time and lack of information. So far there are no signs of rust in the oil. I was hoping to check the calibration of the sensor and move forward with caution about the bearings. I have been satisfied with how smooth it was running there are 3 in the plant all together with one tower and I have been steady with warnings about the condition of the pumps and baskets. Fill is coming into the baskets on the pumps and I can impress then enough to do something about it. Another company has the water treatment and the owners seem to think that includes pump baskets. I marked the bolt heads so far none of them have been moved.

Post Likes
    I think so too.

Post Likes
    Keep us up to date. Somebody on the forum said compressors don’t just die they are murdered. Hope the owner takes care of his investment.

Post Likes
    Thanks Chev5372 This will be interesting so say the least. The wallet is big, but there minds are small. I hope I can keep the compressor from being murdered.

Post Likes
    Being open that long id would of done tear down especially since shaft seal needed to be done just to go over everything from oil pan to carburetor. Second off should really log oil pressures, temperature and oil vsd Hz to see if things change that prox probe works with oil pressure and high speed thrust collar and axial movement of the high speed shaft. If oil filter starts to clog and Hz go up on oil pump to compensate these things can affect prox probe.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

15. Likes andrew40 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew40 View Post
    I am currently dealing with a chiller that has been down for two years. It had no oil or refrigerant in the system and the owner stated it was taken off line due to the main shaft seal blowing out oil. I replaced the seal based on the owners word that it was leaking and allowing to much oil to come threw the seal into the housing. The guide vane actuator was ripped of the shaft and the actuator was replaced and calibrated. After cleaning the tubes and recharging the system with oil and refrigerant I started the system. First I had problems with a no start condition. Single phasing and thermistors going out of range. I have meg ohmed the motor and found nothing. I checked all the connections and fuses, VSD and boards look good. I had cleaned all the connections and thermistors and problems solved. I replaced a actuator position sensor on a bray pneumatic water valve and returned the next day. The chiller stared right up and ran for two days with no issues. Today the owner text me telling me that the thrust bearing mil jumped to -12 mils. Anyone have thoughts and advise on what is going on. I suspect the sensor and calibration problem. I need info on calibration procedure for this system. And a way to reference the original position. I will be returning to look for the start up info and reference on the board. I just hope it is there.
    I'll keep short and sweet for you. The FIRST thing I would recommend, at the very least, is for you to get your hands on the applicable Service Manual to gain a thorough understanding of this machine.

Post Likes
    I have all the books and manuals and have a understanding of this machine. The guys here have been great with info and experiences. I have not had time to post back but I am going back to check calibration on the sensor as soon as I get aroval on finances. I am new to the form so unfortunately I'm on this gust account.