Post Likes

Gas fireplace is for looks only- seeking advice

New to this forum on the site. Thought I'd run something by the pros. I have a gas fireplace, logs are the non-moveable type that come in one block.
    Below them is the material that looks like cellulose insulation along with actual small rocks.

Basically, I don't have a damper, it was removed when previous owner converted the fireplace from wood burning to gas. The fireplace runs fine, looks very pretty. That's the problem though, it serves no actual heating purpose. I've had someone inspect it and they recommended replacing the whole thing for a 5-digit figure.

Is there a way to convert what I have to the vented type that has a fan, and actually blows out into my living room? I never turn it on so pretty much, it's just a hollow tube that connects with the roof. I appreciate any advice, thanks.

Post Likes
    There are kits that can go in and retrofit what you have. I highly suggest a fireplace professional do this.
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"

Glennac - Failed my biology test today: They asked, "What is commonly found in cells?" Apparently "BL*** people" wasn't the correct answer.
    Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

3. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post
    Post Likes
    Marc, appreciate the reply.
    I get confused on ventless vs. direct vented units. Best I can describe to you, there is a pilot light feature. I turn the regulator knob for flow, then push in once I've introduced a flame to light the unit. The logs are artificial, set in place. To start, I turn the gas on using a square tool and then vary the flow with the knob. We don't have a damper, and all flue goes out a real masonry chimney.

What would you say I have installed, and I would ask for what retrofit type? So I don't sound totally clueless, even though I pretty much am. Thanks for the help

Post Likes
    what you have there is a gas log set on top of a gas log starter for wood logs. it's not safe nor prudent to run at all.

direct vent of vented out the top of the chimney is what they will install. Most reputable shops wont touch a vent-free heating appliance.
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"

Glennac - Failed my biology test today: They asked, "What is commonly found in cells?" Apparently "BL*** people" wasn't the correct answer.
    Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

6. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    Interested in this as well...