Post Likes

Heat Pump appropriatness

Have a 9k sq ft commercial property in Lodi, CA, moderate winter temps but 100+ for weeks on end in summer. There is a corner commercial unit of 3k sq ft (one large room) with two exposures (W&E) and currently has a swamp cooler. The building itself is severely limited on electrical capacity so std a/c is not an option. Would a heat pump (geothermal) be able to handle this heat? What kind of electrical draw would I need for a unit of this size? How much can it change the temp inside (cooling, as heating is really not a problem). Suggestions?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by edderd View Post
    Have a 9k sq ft commercial property in Lodi, CA, moderate winter temps but 100+ for weeks on end in summer. There is a corner commercial unit of 3k sq ft (one large room) with two exposures (W&E) and currently has a swamp cooler. The building itself is severely limited on electrical capacity so std a/c is not an option. Would a heat pump (geothermal) be able to handle this heat? What kind of electrical draw would I need for a unit of this size? How much can it change the temp inside (cooling, as heating is really not a problem). Suggestions?
    So I assume it's not set up for 3 phase..Are you just wanting to go with geothermal? Or could twinning units be a possibility?

Sent from my junky 5054W dumb phone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by edderd View Post
    NO!

If you cant run an AC then you cant run a heat pump (even in reverse for AC).

Upgrade your electrical service OR install a new dedicated service for whatever cooling option you choose.
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"

Glennac - Failed my biology test today: They asked, "What is commonly found in cells?" Apparently "BL*** people" wasn't the correct answer.
    Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

Post Likes
    A geo would probably cost as much to install as upgrading the electrical service and installing a standard A/C. And would probably still require an electrical upgrade.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    How many amps can you spare? Maybe an inverter-driven minisplit would work?