Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Likes
    Ludercrous- thatís been my experience too. Fp meters and manometers have gone wonky after moisture exposure and itís just a reality here. I appreciate you sharing your fluke experience. Looking hard at the 375.

Bbeerme- not sure I need waterproof but something that is reliable for more than a year after being in Pacific Northwest weather. Lol, that may very well be waterproof though. Are you really able to decline work in rain to protect your electrical tools? I donít think that would fly with my company but it would be nice for them to take into consideration that we are reducing the life of our testing equipment by having to use it in the rain to do the jobs that are given us. It would be nice to be met halfway.

Thanks for the amprobe recommendation Hamilton. The size and features of it are very attractive. Strongly considering it.

Choclair- I would love to see your review.

Thanks for giving me your thoughts on the redfish 510 Glen. I really like what Jim is doing with the meter and app and sharing his knowledge and passion with the hvac community. That makes me more inclined to purchase a meter from them. However, I was just at harbor freight today. They were selling a multimeter that was identical in looks and layout to the 510 meter except a few setting and a clamp meter that looks exactly like the soon to be 550, again except some of the settings/features were different. I canít remember the brand, it started with an a. I googled it and found another brand selling a multimeter that was identical in design to the 510. These meters were selling around $100 or less. Iím guessing a Chinese company makes all these meters and will tailor the features to different companies who then sell them under their logo. Not that there is something wrong with that but Iím curious if the 510/550 is the same as this harbor freight meter as far as accuracy and durability but with Bluetooth capability and a slick app. If so- guys there is a clamp meter down at harbor freight that does inrush amps for about $100, lol. Pretty good deal if it a Bluetoothless 550/510. Doesnít necessarily steer me away from getting one but I want to do a little more research before I do.

Again, thanks for the input.

Post Likes
    If your meters or tools get ruined from working in the rain, will your company pay to have them replaced?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Max View Post
    Ludercrous- that’s been my experience too. Fp meters and manometers have gone wonky after moisture exposure and it’s just a reality here. I appreciate you sharing your fluke experience. Looking hard at the 375.

Bbeerme- not sure I need waterproof but something that is reliable for more than a year after being in Pacific Northwest weather. Lol, that may very well be waterproof though. Are you really able to decline work in rain to protect your electrical tools? I don’t think that would fly with my company but it would be nice for them to take into consideration that we are reducing the life of our testing equipment by having to use it in the rain to do the jobs that are given us. It would be nice to be met halfway.

Thanks for the amprobe recommendation Hamilton. The size and features of it are very attractive. Strongly considering it.

Choclair- I would love to see your review.

Thanks for giving me your thoughts on the redfish 510 Glen. I really like what Jim is doing with the meter and app and sharing his knowledge and passion with the hvac community. That makes me more inclined to purchase a meter from them. However, I was just at harbor freight today. They were selling a multimeter that was identical in looks and layout to the 510 meter except a few setting and a clamp meter that looks exactly like the soon to be 550, again except some of the settings/features were different. I can’t remember the brand, it started with an a. I googled it and found another brand selling a multimeter that was identical in design to the 510. These meters were selling around $100 or less. I’m guessing a Chinese company makes all these meters and will tailor the features to different companies who then sell them under their logo. Not that there is something wrong with that but I’m curious if the 510/550 is the same as this harbor freight meter as far as accuracy and durability but with Bluetooth capability and a slick app. If so- guys there is a clamp meter down at harbor freight that does inrush amps for about $100, lol. Pretty good deal if it a Bluetoothless 550/510. Doesn’t necessarily steer me away from getting one but I want to do a little more research before I do.

Again, thanks for the input.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    They will not buddy- unfortunately.

Post Likes
    Thanks for all the input. After a lot of research, too much indecision and driving my wife crazy I ended up getting a fluke 376fc for an amp meter and then the redfish idvm510 to complement it. I was debating between the amprobe 51nav, fluke 374fc and the 375fc. The fluke is a little more meter than I need but I got it for the same price as the 375 and it came with the iflex.

Even though I got the fluke at a good price, I had a lot of buyers remorse. It was so much money and more meter than I will most likely ever need. On top of that, I am Highly disappointed in the fluke connect amp. It is really clunky and basic. Maybe I need to dig into it more but it seems to have zero functionality beyond displaying a measurement. The app had poor reviews and I can see why. I was really close to returning it. I have since gotten past my disappointment and overall like it. It feels well made and gives readings very fast. I wanted a high end meter that I could trust (and gave fast readings) and I feel like I got that.

I'm so excited about the redfish meter. It doesn't feel as well made as the fluke and it reads slower than the fluke. However the app is awesome. It displays as a graph as it trends over time and you can pinch zoom in and out with your fingers after it has recorded. If you touch a spot on the recorded graph, it will give you the reading at the spot you touched. I haven't played around with it too much but so far it has been really impressive. It blows the fluke connect app out of the water. I really, really like this meter. One of the criticisms I read of the 510 is that on the voltage selection it defaulted to dc voltage and you had switch it to ac. On the meter that I got, it defaults to reading ac voltage, so that must have been changed. Not the biggest deal but pretty nice.

I started this thread looking for advise on meters that would hold up in a wet environment. I think the fluke will do that but probably not the redfish 510. However, I love the vision of jim and redfish instruments and had to get this meter. Really glad I did. I regret not getting a meter that could measure power. I would love to take a watt reading on a dirty condenser, clean it really good, let it dry and then take another one. I may get the 51nav of redfish 550 down the road but as I have over $500 in new meters, that will have to wait. Thanks again for everyone who gave their 2 cents.

Post Likes
    Trash bags and ziplock bags are your friends.... If the weather even looks like there could be a shower I keep either plastic or garbage bags around to cover the tools..... even before it looks like it might rain.

I keep a garbage bag over my gauges and hang them on the unit...... even a lot of times when I dont believe its going to rain but when I go somewhere where the gauges might be hanging there unattended for a while.

Keep my tools covered in bags too...
    The bible is my constitution and the constitution is my bible.

WE THE PEOPLE refers to THEM and not YOU.

Chewbacca Mom 2016

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123