Post Likes

Chiller tube replacement 134a machine

Have a 2 part question I believe I know the answers but just want to double check

Had a Smardt air cool oil less chiller loose a tube on chiller water side found 100% glycol

1, can I replace a tube on a 134a machine done them on low pressure but not high pressure

2, getting the glycol oily coating out by means of a flush of some sort.

I’m pushing for new barrel but 20 levels up. What’s do you all think? TIA

Post Likes
    Glycol through the whole refrigeration side? Yes they do make high pressure plugs

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3. Likes CHILLERSVCMAN liked this post
    Post Likes
    What is tonnage ? What is access ? Replacement may be more cost effective than clean-up !

Post Likes
    As far as tube replacement , why replace one tube - just plug the tube . I suggest before any decision is made , EDDY CURRENT TEST should be performed to verify integrity of remaining tubes . My question is why did tube fail ?

6. Likes Nuclrchiller liked this post
    Post Likes
    100% glycol? That's pretty crazy and freezing that is even crazier so I second the question why Tube failure

Post Likes
    It didn't say it froze ; just said tube failure . I have seen tubes fail for other reasons . ( > DMax Millenium Inorganic Chemical Plant Frick H2O water cooled oil cooler ; just for one instance )
    Last edited by CHILLERSVCMAN; 04-09-2018 at 01:41 AM. Reason: added info

Post Likes
    I would just plug it. More concerned with why it has 100% glycol in system.

Post Likes
    How old is this Chiller ?
    The primary function of the design engineer is to make things difficult for the fabricator and impossible for the serviceman.

Post Likes
    Well the reason for the failure is unknown job is a 3 job chiller placed in operation last year drained by pipe Forman not a service guy. Found spit on upper half of barrel above the baffle looks like a puncture. Anyways owner will probably want new barrel due to being new chiller. Will find out next week. If I was to clean flooded side of evap what would I use it never got to exv or hot gas. Thanks for info I would do a plug if owner was paying but I think this is on us

Post Likes
    If your paying for evaporator and the clean up and headaches after will take you broke better off getting new chiller. If refrigeration side is that contaminated you'll be there forever dehydrating if and still have to come back to change driers all the time. What brand chiller? Screw/scroll?

13. Likes CHILLERSVCMAN, fridg liked this post
    Post Likes
    After the glycol is removed from the refrigeration circuit , MANY gallons of vacuum pump oil and at least a cradle of nitrogen . A 3cfm ( larger is not better in this case ) Welch open drive vacuum pump . Many hours to visit site to change vacuum pump oil . If possible heat the machine with a controlled heat source during the evacuation process .( It all depends if the system is a packaged system or a built-up system .)

15. Likes fridg liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
    Have a 2 part question I believe I know the answers but just want to double check

Had a Smardt air cool oil less chiller loose a tube on chiller water side found 100% glycol

1, can I replace a tube on a 134a machine done them on low pressure but not high pressure

2, getting the glycol oily coating out by means of a flush of some sort.

I’m pushing for new barrel but 20 levels up. What’s do you all think? TIA
    Glad I'm not in your shoes... I'm confident enough to say you're navigating uncharted territory. Water in a mag bearing machine would be bad enough, but 100% glycol? I heard from a person I consider in the know that Turbocors are completely intolerant of anything other than refrigerant. Some one on this board might have experience with this, certainly not me.

If you haven't already done so, I'd reach out to Smardt to see what they have to say. I know I'd be curious to know what they say.