Thread: McQuay PFH126

Post Likes

McQuay PFH126

Hey looking for some help here, I recently started to work on a McQuay PFH126 with two CE126 compressors on it. I found out that a complete rebuild of one on these compressors was done about a year ago and since then when the machine is running I am experiencing oil loss in that compressors oil sump and the other compressors sump becomes full. I have to then transfer oil from one sump to the other. This seems to be occurring more in low load situations. I was at the McQuay factory for another training and asked one of their engineers about this and he said that it sounded like a venting issue in the gear housing. He would not elaborate more on this only that I would need to run a line from the condenser to the gear housing with a ball valve to balance the pressure. I have been looking at this and really am confused, because the way I see it if the gear housing is not returning the oil to the sump then how is it getting back into the charge for the other compressor to pickup. My thoughts is this could be a problem on the front side or high speed side with the compressor not picking up enough oil.
    Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Timber1 View Post
    Hey looking for some help here, I recently started to work on a McQuay PFH126 with two CE126 compressors on it. I found out that a complete rebuild of one on these compressors was done about a year ago and since then when the machine is running I am experiencing oil loss in that compressors oil sump and the other compressors sump becomes full. I have to then transfer oil from one sump to the other. This seems to be occurring more in low load situations. I was at the McQuay factory for another training and asked one of their engineers about this and he said that it sounded like a venting issue in the gear housing. He would not elaborate more on this only that I would need to run a line from the condenser to the gear housing with a ball valve to balance the pressure. I have been looking at this and really am confused, because the way I see it if the gear housing is not returning the oil to the sump then how is it getting back into the charge for the other compressor to pickup. My thoughts is this could be a problem on the front side or high speed side with the compressor not picking up enough oil.
    Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated?
    Need to do load balance, one is most likely running loaded more than the other. Check SA/SB valve.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    There is always a small amount of oil that gets circulated with the refrigerant, there are factory procedures to help determine why oil loss is occurring which I won't discuss on an open forum. The short answer is 1 compressor is pushing more oil out into circulation than the other for some reason and the 2nd compressor is pulling it back out of the evaporator more effectively. Compare your oil sump pressure readings with compressors running as a start. It might be front end as you said and it might not.

As far as a line between the condenser and gear housing goes, I have no idea what he trying to accomplish with that idea.

How frequently do you have to transfer oil between sumps??