Post Likes

What do I have to do to get into Local 94 NYC?

Hello all,

It's been a long time since I've posted on HVAC Talk, but I am looking for a little advice. For the last couple of years, I've been trying to get picked up by a Local 94 employer, member of NYC Realty Advisory Board, like CBRE, Cushman and Wakefield, or Boston Properties.

I have a UA B book and 18 years in the trade, 16 in a van and the last 2 in house at a large NYC college. I have FDNY Refer ticket, and all other pertinent certificates of fitness, such as fire guard, torch operator, air compressors, standpipe, and sprinklers.

I have never gotten a response from any of the above mentioned employers. They constantly have postings on Indeed, and not even a sniff.

My experience is strictly HVAC and refrigeration. Is this inhibiting me? I mean, my lack of building engineer skills on my CV, such as drywall, carpentry, and lighting?

I always thought that the HVAC skills were the most difficult of building engineer skills to master, and that my vast commercial HVAC experience would put me at the top of the pile.

Maybe the problem is that these jobs are being filled by unemployed 94 members, but I thought at some point, I would at least get a sniff.

Has anyone else had the same experience, or possibly different results with a similar background to mine?

Post Likes
    I know you know the old adage, "it's not what you know, but who you know". With your background/experience, I would say you would be a shoe-in, so no clue as to why the companies you listed are not giving you at least a sniff. Best of luck to ya.

Post Likes
    There are hundreds of buildings needing operating Engineers. Get hired and your in the Union.

Local 30 is still taking apprentices.

Post Likes
    Cushman and Wakefield uses local 32bj as their engineers, at least they did in the building I used to be a mechanic in..

A friend of mine is in 94... He knew someone many years back is how he got the job.

Why not shoot for Local 638? I think our benefits are better. Much easier to find a contractor willing to hire you.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by psehunter View Post
    Cushman and Wakefield uses local 32bj as their engineers, at least they did in the building I used to be a mechanic in..

A friend of mine is in 94... He knew someone many years back is how he got the job.

Why not shoot for Local 638? I think our benefits are better. Much easier to find a contractor willing to hire you.
    Thanks for advice guys. No more apprenticeships for me.

I am a UA Journeyman for the last 15 years. Pipefitters Local 274 in Jersey. Getting a 638 job is no problem, I just don’t want it. I got out of the truck 2 years ago because it was beating the hell out of my body. I’m done bringing 300 pounds of gas to the roof by myself to charge a rack system at 3 o’clock in the morning.

Local 30 I’ve had some calls and been offered a couple of jobs, but the rotating shifts didn’t work for my childcare situation. I’m still looking though.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tjc76 View Post
    Thanks for advice guys. No more apprenticeships for me.

I am a UA Journeyman for the last 15 years. Pipefitters Local 274 in Jersey. Getting a 638 job is no problem, I just don’t want it. I got out of the truck 2 years ago because it was beating the hell out of my body. I’m done bringing 300 pounds of gas to the roof by myself to charge a rack system at 3 o’clock in the morning.

Local 30 I’ve had some calls and been offered a couple of jobs, but the rotating shifts didn’t work for my childcare situation. I’m still looking though.
    Local 94 isnt going to be any different................

New guy gets the worst shift.
    Operating Engineers are a different trade you may need some schooling.
    You need to put your time in and pay your dues like everyone else.

Post Likes
    JLL was looking for mobile engineers...I know a few guys from 638 who got into 94 by getting hired by JLL

Post Likes
    I just turned 60 years old.I have been living and working inAtlanta for 35 years.I grew up in Northern New Jersey.I went to Lincoln Tech In Union New Jersey.Even back in 1982 I was never able to get in the Union.Seems like you have to get lucky, or know the right people.So,I worked non Union.I moved to Atlanta in 1985.Worked for a few different companies,Tried to get in the union here,In Atlanta,Same problem.Never got in.I know guys here in the union, they seem to like it.Eventually I got my Georgia contractors license, and now work for myself.I guess the union was not meant to be,for me.

Post Likes
    take a look t some of these postings for Columbia university's new Manhattanville campus. Not local 94, but some good positions. like pecmsg said, you have to get in and pay your dues. PM me if you have any questions.

Google Columbia university JAC

go to the department drop dawn and select "1215 - FAC MV Operations