Post Likes

Question Search Function - User Names

It appears to be broken for users with spaces and then characters that also are used as operators.

Such as "The -Apprentice".

The search box sees the name and you can choose it from the list. Clicking "exact name" or not brings up the same error "sorry no matches".

It appears that the search feature sees this search as "The" "NOT Apprentice"

I had to do a search of all users with "the" in the name (a boatload) and then page search in the browser for that specific name:

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/member.php?...The-Apprentice

The space in his name appears to be the problem, rather than the -.
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"

Glennac - Failed my biology test today: They asked, "What is commonly found in cells?" Apparently "BL*** people" wasn't the correct answer.
    Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

2. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes

4. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    I found that the site search for The -Apprentice works if you select the Search Single Content Type tab, whereas Search Multiple Content Types doesn't.

I really don't know what the difference is between single and multiple content types however.

6. Likes HVAC_Marc, DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    Icemeister is right. It does work under single content types. I just tried it. Multiple types does not. Typing in the name or cut-paste gets me the same "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

Multiple content types appears to be the default search parameter.

I was going to upload screen shots but the site is erroring out on the upload. Looks like IT Robb has another problem to deal with...
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"

Glennac - Failed my biology test today: They asked, "What is commonly found in cells?" Apparently "BL*** people" wasn't the correct answer.
    Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

8. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes

10. Likes HVAC_Marc, DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dad View Post
    Something on the site doesn't feel right. There's a pot hole then another and another....so now we are looking for more. Usually a sign of errors to come.
    Agreed. I've felt the odd bump in the road lately. Nothing that I can recall or specifically define, but a bump.

This single vs multiple content type search isn't new. I've seen the same thing for years...the multiple search doesn't work, yet it's the default. It must have been designed by a former government bureaucracy IT guy.

12. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    With all that said, ....

Since the Site is Back Up Again, .....

Are the Files, Posts, Names,Members etc., being backed up, on a Separate Server?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidDeBord View Post
    With all that said, ....

Since the Site is Back Up Again, .....

Are the Files, Posts, Names,Members etc., being backed up, on a Separate Server?
    That was addressed in another post, but shortly, the AWS cloud servers simultaneously mirror the site all over the world. Ideally, no backup should be required.