Post Likes

is a CONDENSER the only difference between 2.5 ton and 3 ton unit?

I posted a few months ago that the contractor that put in our new HVAC put in a 3 ton unit instead of the 2.5 ton that should have been installed. He has assured me that when we are ready, he will switch out the 3 ton and replace it with the 2.5 ton. The time has now come to do it and I noticed on the paperwork he emailed me that it shows that they will only be replacing the CONDENSER only. Does this make sense to you guys that understand HVAC? I just want to make sure that they are not just rigging it so they don't have to replace the whole unit. Is there any advantage to starting from scratch and replacing the whole 3 ton unit with a 2.5 ton instead of just replacing the CONDENSER?

I appreciate any advice you can give me!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxon78727 View Post
    I posted a few months ago that the contractor that put in our new HVAC put in a 3 ton unit instead of the 2.5 ton that should have been installed. He has assured me that when we are ready, he will switch out the 3 ton and replace it with the 2.5 ton. The time has now come to do it and I noticed on the paperwork he emailed me that it shows that they will only be replacing the CONDENSER only. Does this make sense to you guys that understand HVAC? I just want to make sure that they are not just rigging it so they don't have to replace the whole unit. Is there any advantage to starting from scratch and replacing the whole 3 ton unit with a 2.5 ton instead of just replacing the CONDENSER?

I appreciate any advice you can give me!
    There are only 3 major components:
    1. Air Handling Unit - A.H.U. ( a.k.a. blower; INside)
    2. Condensing Unit ( a.k.a. Condenser = compressor with coils ) ( Outside )
    3. Thermostat

Nearly all A.H.U.s are multi -speed set-up with various dip switch combinations

.:. You only need the Condenser replaced
    _ _ IF the ACCA Manual J calculation that is independently reviewer
    _ _ indicates a 2.5 Ton ( ACCA Manual S calc ) system is the appropriate selection.

http://www.contractingbusiness.com/a...-acca-manual-s
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Very common to have a larger rated air handler on a smaller condenser.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Model # of the indoor air handler or coil?

Post Likes
    Ask for the AHRI match number
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

6. Likes ziggyhere liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    Ask for the AHRI match number
    And make sure it's set up for the correct blower speed