Post Likes

Question Chiltrix vs. Multiaqua for hydronic heating and cooling (residential)

Anyone have experience with either of these systems? I thought about geothermal, but the cost of well drilling is rather high. I'm thinking about hydronic floor heat and hydronic ducted air handlers, with gas boiler(s) for backup heat and DHW. It seems that one of these heat recovery systems could help with efficiency even though they are air-source. The Multiaqua even claims to be able to integrate into a geothermal setup for more efficiency. The Chiltrix has application notes for solar thermal water heat, which is something else I was thinking about - not sure about costs though. Location is central Ohio, new build.

Post Likes
    Also, I like the idea of having all the mechanical components inside the building, and I hate the idea of running glycol/water lines outside in the freezing temperatures. Are there any water-to-water heat pumps that have an option to connect a remote refrigerant condenser?

Post Likes
    I've been contemplating this for a while now as well.
    I called Hotspot energy (they own/sell the Chiltrix brand) and got a call back the next day from one of their sales people. We spent over an hour on the phone and they provided a lot of information. A lot of it is on their website as well - test data, design suggestions, price lists, it's all right there, which I think looks really good on them.
    MultiAqua has less information on their website. No prices. I called them and the receptionist did transfer me to a sales person - but I got a voice mail. I left a message but have not heard back.

Has anyone here actually installed a Chiltrix CX30 or CX34?

Post Likes
    I haven't gotten any farther with this, and have kind of dropped it for now, but the thing that turned me off of the chilltrix system was the pictures of the insides - it appears to be many cobbled together boards, possibly including a raspberry pi, and not a well-integrated single-manufacturer solution. That gives me pause because of potential future parts availability and risk of failure from all the various moving parts.

Post Likes
    I am in the middle of connecting 2 multiaqua 5 ton air cooled chillers to some hydronic coils. Cannot tell you much about how they work yet. We did not choose this option. Cleaning up after another contractor got canned. Units are pretty basic. Scroll compressor on 407C. Heat exchanger. Basic controls. Pump in the chiller compartment.

Post Likes
    Multi aqua is a good long term player in the residential chiller market. Integrates with hydronic heat and radiant floor applications.

If you build insulated slab on grade with hydronic tubing in the slab, you can integrate some of the cooling load to the floor. Sensible heat removal (and "bank" cooling in the slab at night so you do not need as large a system.) Pair this with a high velocity air handler that has chilled water coil to remove the latent heat and also filter the air and you have a verrrrry cooooool system! Will most definitely require a contractor with some knowledge and experience to make this work according to plan, but my encouragement is extended..

Post Likes
    Definitely keep me posted on your findings.
    I said earlier that multi aqua did not return my call - they did actually call back after a few days. Now it's my turn with phone tag.
    One of my questions is how their new solar-integrated system works. If it has "solar assist" this may be interesting - you can use solar to offset your heating/cooling costs without the hassle of a grid tied system.