Post Likes

Gas fireplace will not stay lit when logs are in place.

I just installed a new superior gas fireplace and have a couple of problems.
    1)The igniter spark is weak and puts out one visible spark for every 5 clicks from the control box. The spark appears to arc between the tip of the igniter and the base of the igniter. This will light the pilot about 50% of the time. Strangely, once the pilot is lit the ignition puts out a strong (normal) spark for about 30 more seconds and the arc is between the tip of the igniter and the pilot head. Once lit the pilot stays lit forever.
    2) The second issue is that the fireplace shuts off after about 15-20 seconds when I operate it with the logs installed and the front (glass) panel closed.
    - I can use it for hours with the glass closed if the logs are not installed.
    - It will light and stay lit with the logs installed and the glass front open an inch, but shuts off within 15 seconds when I securely close the front glass.
    When lit the flame is a good height and color looks normal.
    The fireplace is top vented using flexible coaxial piping (4Β” inner and 8Β” outer) and rigid twist lock transition pieces. I used a high wind topper that extends 36Β” above the chimney. Total height is about 16 feet.
    The thermocouple puts out ~19 mvolts when the pilot is lit and ~22 when the fire is lit.
    I removed vent restrictive insert from the inner 4Β” vent pipe. (No change)
    I disconnected the outer 8Β” vent pipe at the fireplace. (No change)
    I tried packing the vents near the pilot with glowing ember material to reduce any wind from fresh air. (No change)

Not sure what to try next ? Anyone seen this before?

Post Likes
    Sounds like your venting is backwards

Post model and serial please

Post Likes
    DRT3545
    A17J237416

I did more testing of the thermocouple last night.
    Looks like when I close the front panel with the flame on and the logs installed, the voltage drops to <10mvolts, then the fireplace shuts off.

Post Likes
    Issue 1. The spark transmits better through flame that is why it is stronger. You can actually hear the difference with the spark ignition pilot systems. Just open up the gas line and let air in, then reconnect and start furnace you will hear the spark get louder just before it lights. So the igniter should be closer to hood and or farther from base.

Issue 2. Freethrowguy could be right? There is a combustion air problem of some sort which is killing the pilot.
    What I would for is: Is the thermocouple close to one of the logs? Either move the pilot or log position. My guess is that with the logs in place and door shut that the pilot is either in combustion gasses i.e. no air, or is a pocket of unburnt gas again no air.

I have ran into the pilot problem before with old cast iron burners knocking out the pilot, because the pilot is to high and it gets suffocated by the burners flames.
    There is only one truly right way to do something, but there are thousands of wrong ways to varying degrees to do it.
    So the question is: If you don't do it right, then how wrong is it going to be???

Post Likes
    It sounds like several things could be wrong,... Voltage, Grounding, & Venting, as well as possibly New Parts.

Post Likes
    A new pilot assembly is on the way. Will updat once it’s installed.
    Thanks

Post Likes
    Might not need to install a new pilot assembly. Worth a shot to clean the pilot hood with air (turn off the fireplace) and even clean the orifice of the pilot head. Its definitely weird that it will work no problem without the logs. Normally I would agree with freethrow but the fact that it's running no problem with the logs out should mean that it is venting. If it's not venting properly the flame is usually suffocated. Is it possible that the logs are getting in the way of the flame on the thermocouple?