Post Likes

Yellow Jacket 93600 Vacuum Pump Issue

The last few times I've used my vacuum pump with the Appion 1/2" hoses I'm getting a **** load of vacuum pump oil getting sucked back down the hoses and going right into my VCRT and getting in to the system. Any clue what could be the cause of this?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    A follow up question, does the pump not have some sort of a check valve so vacuum pump oil cant flow out of it?

Post Likes
    If you turn the pump off while it's still under vacuum, oil will come back up the lines - same with any pump that I know of. That's what the blank off valve is for. If your pump doesn't have a blank off valve (e.g. like the TEZ8), you have to blank it off at the core removal tool before turning the pump off. You may even need to release the vacuum in the hoses after blanking off the valve before turning the pump off.

4. Likes AEW liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rjk_cmh View Post
    If you turn the pump off while it's still under vacuum, oil will come back up the lines - same with any pump that I know of. That's what the blank off valve is for. If your pump doesn't have a blank off valve (e.g. like the TEZ8), you have to blank it off at the core removal tool before turning the pump off. You may even need to release the vacuum in the hoses after blanking off the valve before turning the pump off.
    Weird. So there is no check to speak of. I never had this problem until the last couple of times I've used it and wasn't getting any oil coming back out the hoses.

So to prevent this I should close off the VCRT then crack the hoses then shut the pump off?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AEW View Post
    Weird. So there is no check to speak of. I never had this problem until the last couple of times I've used it and wasn't getting any oil coming back out the hoses.

So to prevent this I should close off the VCRT then crack the hoses then shut the pump off?

Yes, and if you need to run a 24 hour vacuum on a big chiller you can rig up a normally-closed solenoid to keep your vacuum in if there's a power outage (janitor unplugs your pump).

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rjk_cmh View Post
    Yes, and if you need to run a 24 hour vacuum on a big chiller you can rig up a normally-closed solenoid to keep your vacuum in if there's a power outage (janitor unplugs your pump).
    Well that's exactly what happened. The homeowner turned the breaker off to plug that I was running it on. An hour later I went out there and there was a ton of oil in my hoses.

Post Likes
    This a Bullet? Company bought me one last fall, and there was a 3/8" ball valve and a couple adapters in the box, along with a page explaining it was some type of "recall" parts due to the exact thing you're describing. Basically, the ball valve is a blank off valve the same as the Super Evac pumps have. Without the ball valve, to prevent oil in the hoses, easiest to valve off at the VCRT then crack one of the unused ports on the pump to break the vacuum prior to shutting it off.

FWIW, there is a check (ball bearing) valve under the "intake" fitting. Doesn't seem to keep oil in the pump....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by blueguy043 View Post
    This a Bullet? Company bought me one last fall, and there was a 3/8" ball valve and a couple adapters in the box, along with a page explaining it was some type of "recall" parts due to the exact thing you're describing. Basically, the ball valve is a blank off valve the same as the Super Evac pumps have. Without the ball valve, to prevent oil in the hoses, easiest to valve off at the VCRT then crack one of the unused ports on the pump to break the vacuum prior to shutting it off.

FWIW, there is a check (ball bearing) valve under the "intake" fitting. Doesn't seem to keep oil in the pump....
    It is a bullet. About 1.5 years old. I don't remember it coming with anything extra in the box.

I have an older superevac I'll probably just go back to using.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AEW View Post
    It is a bullet. About 1.5 years old. I don't remember it coming with anything extra in the box.

I have an older superevac I'll probably just go back to using.

I think it's a relatively new addition to the pump due to the issues you're describing.