Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Likes
    What's US mini-split market share (approximately) ?

I live in Brazil and it's widely used, specially for residential application (i'd say 95% of air conditioned houses use mini split).

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lucaspenalva View Post
    What's US mini-split market share (approximately) ?

I live in Brazil and it's widely used, specially for residential application (i'd say 95% of air conditioned houses use mini split).
    In 2017, USA purchased around 1.1M Mini Splits. The market is not big right now but it is growing. The idea is to help replace the window units where possible. Of course, in areas where Mini Splits are the main AC source, the taller buildings are built to have a an exterior base outside the balcony or window where the outdoor unit would go. Its crazy to see a 50 story building all being cooled by Mini Splits.

Post Likes
    Do you have an idea why isn't it big?

In brazil, mini-splits represent more than 80% of the market share!

In residencial applications, it's extremely rare to see centralized AC system. More sophisticated houses are going towards VRF.

In small/medium commercial applications, it's very common to see mini-splits.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lucaspenalva View Post
    Do you have an idea why isn't it big?

In brazil, mini-splits represent more than 80% of the market share!

In residencial applications, it's extremely rare to see centralized AC system. More sophisticated houses are going towards VRF.

In small/medium commercial applications, it's very common to see mini-splits.
    Most likely it stems from both tradition ("we have always done it this old way, why should we change?") and also "not invented here" syndrome, because it's a new and odd product from euro/japan/not USA, so why should I use it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rjk_cmh View Post
    Most likely it stems from both tradition ("we have always done it this old way, why should we change?") and also "not invented here" syndrome, because it's a new and odd product from euro/japan/not USA, so why should I use it.
    When I try to push mini splits for new construction or for whole home over traditional systems the biggest pushback I get is cosmetic and lack of education. They say “I don’t want that ugly thing on my wall” or “I don’t want to feel like I’m living in a hotel room”. Even ones that are receptive then feel every room even small bathrooms or utility rooms would need its own head, which then makes the job very expensive and turns them off to it. Even bidding a couple slim ducts to get away from the cosmetic and keeping number of heads down I get, “well if you’re going to do ductwork just do a regular system.” They will go back to a significantly less efficient system because it’s all they’ve known and are comfortable with.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcatwes View Post
    When I try to push mini splits for new construction or for whole home over traditional systems the biggest pushback I get is cosmetic and lack of education. They say “I don’t want that ugly thing on my wall” or “I don’t want to feel like I’m living in a hotel room”. Even ones that are receptive then feel every room even small bathrooms or utility rooms would need its own head, which then makes the job very expensive and turns them off to it. Even bidding a couple slim ducts to get away from the cosmetic and keeping number of heads down I get, “well if you’re going to do ductwork just do a regular system.” They will go back to a significantly less efficient system because it’s all they’ve known and are comfortable with.
    Daikin has some nice looking designs out now that dont look so much like your hotel type AH..or PTAC like

Post Likes
    Not much flaring done now with in HVAC/ R trade. Except for mini splits , although some cities ban flares in wall spaces , Chicago i believe is one .

Post Likes
    Hello to all.
    I have some questions about mini split systems with around 18 ooo btu, only cooling systems, for warm areas like Florida, in a medium isolated house, no excessive cooling (target temperature around 75 Grad Fahrenheit).
    1. What are the real average energy saving rates from inverter-models in comparison to new on-off-systems at above conditions?
    2. Under which conditions are energy saving rates of 50 – 60% able (in the advertising mentioned)?
    3. Why built the producer not more TXV or electronic valves in mini split systems? I have read that a TXV saves around 11% energy in comparison to a capillary tube, that’s a lot. How much will get a TXV –system more expensive than a capillary tube-system?
    4. Why install the producers (all?) the capillary tube in the outside unit and not directly before the evaporator?
    5. Comparison copper condenser – aluminum condenser: More and more producer install aluminum condenser in there units, what is the reason and which are better for an r410a or r32 system?

I hope my English is good enough that you understand exactly what I mean. Thanks in advance for your answers!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by COOLJIM View Post
    Not much flaring done now with in HVAC/ R trade. Except for mini splits , although some cities ban flares in wall spaces , Chicago i believe is one .
    Chicago don't allow flares period

Sent from my 5054W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcatwes View Post

I tell you what I don't like. I don't like that if I have a problem with part of the system that I may not be able to get another indoor unit 7-8 years down the road that will still work with my outdoor unit. There is no guarantee that I'll be able to maintain a multiple head system without replacing all of it should a portion fail. If there were some standardization, some ability to integrate with wall thermostats and pricing that at least KIND of competed with central units then they might be attractive.

Add to that we have relatively cheap energy prices and mini-splits don't pencil out in most American style homes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123