Thread: Daikin conventional split systems

Post Likes

Daikin conventional split systems

I've been waiting to see the Daikin single phase equipment in my region (mid-atl) but all my distributors get are Goodman/Amana and Daikin mini-splits. It seems like there are a few more options in the Daikin line such as 20 seer inverter. And tuned A/H's with EEV's. Does anyone on the east coast know if these will be distributed in our area?

Post Likes
    It's only available to specific dealers at this point. I would look for it in your region in the next year.

Large presence in the south, west and northeast right now, filling in the other areas soon.

That's really all I can tell you...
    I need a new signature.....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CorporatePuppet View Post
    I've been waiting to see the Daikin single phase equipment in my region (mid-atl) but all my distributors get are Goodman/Amana and Daikin mini-splits. It seems like there are a few more options in the Daikin line such as 20 seer inverter. And tuned A/H's with EEV's. Does anyone on the east coast know if these will be distributed in our area?
    Been waiting here too. Local dealer same as you, only Goodman/Amana splits and Daikin ductless.

I am real interested in the Daikin splits. All parts made in USA, is what I have been told. Would love to go to Texas and tour facility. Touch real American steel again.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Post Likes
    I wouldn't believe that "all parts made in USA" line. Yes, impressive how much they sunk into the Texas facility but I don't think they can buy American made motors, contactors, boards, etc. Even Copleand compressors come from who knows where.

Amana & Daikin do have an inverter unit. Has a Daikin "swing" compressor in the 2-4 ton.

Post Likes
    I had a Amana AVZC18 4-ton Inverter installed in Oct 2017. After inquiring about Daikin specifically, I was told the Amana was the same compressor (Daikin design) and guts since Goodman bought Daikin, so I went with it.......I have had nothing but problems! My 30-yr old (8 seer?) Janitrol with a Honeywell VP TH8000u STAT ran better than the new unit....something to be said for older tech!

Installers and Amana rep have been out MANY times and tell me there is not an issue. Current issues include the CTK04's (2 zones) not working consistently, and outdoor CU getting stuck in defrost mode when it is below 40 outside (I am in NC). Of course the installer never sees it as it happens in the middle of the night when i need heat most. This inverter system is 4 mos old and has left me without heat (other than strips) through MANY cold nights.

I called a couple of other trusted installers and they said, just go with a conventional (non-communicating) 2-stage HP as too many things can go wrong in the inverter space......as an IT guy and all the issues I have had with mine, I believe the other guys are right.

Bottom line, I had EVERYTHING replaced in my house to the tune of $ and have nothing but problems and issues with the CU staying running below 40, there is an obvious issue with this Amana HP and I am about to have the installer rip it out since the Amana rep wants to play games. A 10/10 "lifetime warranty means nothing if you see the service guy more than you see your family!

Bottom line, I will NEVER touch an Amana or Daikin again, unless it is a Daikin Mini spilt as I have they run fine. Just my .02 worth
    Last edited by beenthere; 10-05-2018 at 05:16 AM.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the input.

I am sorry to hear what you are going through. You don't deserve it, you deserve a good product with good service.

Sounds like you need to go higher up the food chain to get this resolved.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by joemach View Post
    Thanks for the input.

I am sorry to hear what you are going through. You don't deserve it, you deserve a good product with good service.

Sounds like you need to go higher up the food chain to get this resolved.

Just wanted to follow-up with y'all about my previous experience dealing with a new Amana system.

As the situation went on, the CU would not act up until it was below 30 and neither the installer nor Amana rep (Matt in Charlotte, NC) would come out during these time frames to catch the issue. In any case, I escalated with the installer whom was getting nowhere with the Amana rep. After MONTHS of the CU getting stuck in defrost MANY MANY times and getting huge electric bills from the aux strips being on so often and for so long, I finally gave them a deadline to resolve it before legal action as the last resort. I had recorded MANY videos to show the rep what was going on and he would not even look at them, nor the fact that the STATS were set to 72 and the house would be 63, in both zones, when I woke up in the AM.

After asking and getting nowhere, I told them to replace the outdoor unit, the rep only wanted to try to repair (but was not willing to replace the CU). The installer said they would even install a new CU if need be and cover the cost if Amana did not. By this time, I was so fed up with Amana and freezing my you know what off during the winter months. I told them to come get the system (after 4 mos of h#ll and freezing in the middle of winter) and bring their checkbook or I gave them the choice to put in a like Carrier system (25VNA848).

I had high expectations from the Amana system as I have seen 3ph Daikin units running on Mtn tops in the middle of winter to keep transmitters cool. All I can say is the residential version is not even close to the quality of the commercial stuff (IMHO) since Goodman bought them. The communicating stats are a joke and between 2 zones, they changed them out 2x thinking the stats were causing the issues with the CU. OH, there was anothe issue here and I will say USE SHIELDED CABLE FOR COMMUNICATING SYSTEMS, this comes from an IT guy that used to do RS422 communications. Shielded cable in my case was a must as I have an FM transmitter 1/2 mile form my house and this was part of the issue in the beginning when the CU would not always get the call for heat. Shielded wire resolved the issue there.

NOW - I have had the Carrier referenced above since April. So far I would say this is a FAR superior system to the Amana installed and my electric bills immediately dropped by 1/2 through the remainder of the heating season and now in the summer (We just had the 3rd hottest sept on record). Granted, I had a defective Amana CU and the new one may have performed better, but I could not get over the Company Rep issues and the amateur quality of the communicating system (Read the white papers on ClimateTalk, good on paper, bad on execution) or stats for the price.

The Carrier 5-stage does what I ask it to do across 2 zones. If I go on vacation, come home and want to cool the house down 5-7 degrees in 20 mins, it does it. Heat from this system is good as well, even down to 25 with no aux heat (I have it locked @ 25) as that is about the coldest it gets here in NC. About the only slight complaint I have is dehum mode as it has a hard time hitting the target unless it is really hot here. Other than that, I am very pleased with this system.

As a side note, I installed my own mini-split 1-ton (Senville) in my garage last November and it has NEVER skipped a beat since I installed it almost a year ago and a 600sqft garage (insulated) stays 77 in the summer and 70 in the winter without an issue.

I appreciate this forum and the time everyone takes to help each other out!

Post Likes
    Moved to AOP.

Post Likes
    Goodman didn't buy Daikin, Dakini bought Goodman.

Your system is probably over sized, and that is why it has trouble maintaining a low RH in the home.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in