Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 24

Thread: Oil Failure

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southeast, GA / Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    300
    Post Likes

    Oil Failure

    Have 6 compressor rack that has compressor 3 and 4 ( both 3D ) going off on oil. recently installed 2 compressors ( a 2D and a 3D ) soon after they started going off on oil fail. found that when compressors 5 and 6 started ( the new compressors ) all oil would leave the reservoir. Added about 3 gallons of oil to get at least one ball floating when all compressors running.

    I checked sight glass from separator and found when 5 or 6 started the flow increased dramatically also found that the compressor sight glass for 5 was always full. Installed new level controls on 5 and 6 and set them as needed. Found that 3 and 4 still off on oil. Did oil changes on 3 and 4 twice and found still going off on oil. Pulled level controls and cleaned also cleaned sight glass on 3 today.

    Set level control to about half site glass. During operation found that the level control float seems to be opening and shutting constantly because level will not stay steady. Its not tripping ( as of earlier today ) but also when 3 compressors are running ( #3 included ) it has no foam but when a 4th compressor starts the level drops and then foam appears in the glass. The level slowly comes up but still has a small amount of foam. Pumping oil out?

    HELP!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    kansas
    Posts
    477
    Post Likes
    What happened to your oil pressure before and after the repairs? Assuming oil floats like olch1 ? Low or med temp? Any cases coming in or out of defrost during this excessive oil level changes? Have you checked compressor sh?
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

    I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southeast, GA / Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    300
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by crazzycajun View Post
    What happened to your oil pressure before and after the repairs? Assuming oil floats like olch1 ? Low or med temp? Any cases coming in or out of defrost during this excessive oil level changes? Have you checked compressor sh?
    1. Didnt have a problem before installing the compressors ( when i started with the company compressor 5 was DOA. soon after i started compressor 6 failed ).

    2. Sporlan OL-60s and Henrys oil floats

    3. This is medium temp rack. I think cases are in and out of defrost when it is happening.

    4. No have not checked compressor superheat

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    kansas
    Posts
    477
    Post Likes
    Have you checked the screens in all the floats. Is this multiple calls or all in one day. What was the failures in 5and6 electrical mechanical etc? How new is the oil filter does the oil levels jump one way or another in or out of defrost. Is the receiver level normal for operating conditions. What about the cases any froze up and causing flood back just trying to see what you’ve checked. That’s why the call them a rack much like women each one has certain things that piss them off but doesn’t bother some. I would definitely check compressor superheat to see if there’s possible case problems good luck
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

    I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    kansas
    Posts
    477
    Post Likes
    I seen a guy shut a oil line off to change a filter and forgot to open it the rack ran several days by bringing enough oil through the suction to keep the rack online. Assume nothing!
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

    I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southeast, GA / Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    300
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by crazzycajun View Post
    Have you checked the screens in all the floats. Is this multiple calls or all in one day. What was the failures in 5and6 electrical mechanical etc? How new is the oil filter does the oil levels jump one way or another in or out of defrost. Is the receiver level normal for operating conditions. What about the cases any froze up and causing flood back just trying to see what you’ve checked. That’s why the call them a rack much like women each one has certain things that piss them off but doesn’t bother some. I would definitely check compressor superheat to see if there’s possible case problems good luck
    1. checked all screens clear
    2. This has been going on for a couple of weeks
    3. one was a ground the other i dont know
    4. just changed filter last week
    5. 5 and 6 are steady and the others have dirty glass ( except 3 cause i cleaned it )
    6. yes receiver level is normal
    7. no flood back

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    378
    Post Likes
    "1" Rule out flood back "2" Is there a problem with the float in the oil separator or a damaged screen in the separator "3" Are the pickup screens in the bottom left of the compressors clean. "3" Sentronic oil failure controls the sensor is the screen clean also is the "O" ring damaged or stretched. "4" I always replaced suction filters once a year.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    378
    Post Likes
    Flood back can be time consuming to find on a Loop system. Also check to make sure none of the compressors have a bad valve plate.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    kansas
    Posts
    477
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by navyhydronics View Post
    1. checked all screens clear
    2. This has been going on for a couple of weeks
    3. one was a ground the other i dont know
    4. just changed filter last week
    5. 5 and 6 are steady and the others have dirty glass ( except 3 cause i cleaned it )

    6. yes receiver level is normal
    7. no flood back
    Copeland claims 80% of groundings are caused by flood back due to refer washing out bearings and causing the rotor to get into the stator. Not sur I agree with those numbers.
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

    I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Richmond, working under tarps
    Posts
    826
    Post Likes
    I would be recording discharge temps of all compressors

    I would then be comparing crankcase pressures of each, compare to the header press

    is there a temprite or another oil sep? oil res?

    blown temprites can reduce oil sequestering.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southeast, GA / Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    300
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Went today and found 3 off on oil. Reset and observed all day with no issues. It seems to happen after hours ( overnight ). I suspect it is happening during a restart so i have bypassed the compressor to on, so i can see if it is happening only during start up.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    kansas
    Posts
    477
    Post Likes
    When I notice these happening at night I suspect fan stuck on or some sort of condensing issue I know you in Florida but what type of temp fluctuations are you having between day and night. What type of low ambient controls due you have. If I want to rule out low ambient I set up the sprinkler
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

    I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southeast, GA / Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    300
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by crazzycajun View Post
    When I notice these happening at night I suspect fan stuck on or some sort of condensing issue I know you in Florida but what type of temp fluctuations are you having between day and night. What type of low ambient controls due you have. If I want to rule out low ambient I set up the sprinkler
    lately fluctuations have been significant, actually i don't remember what controls are on this rack. Monday will have to take a closer look.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor MagazineThe place where Electrical professionals meet.