Post Likes

Coleman Echelon issues with pressure

Hi, I have recently had a new furnace installed and am having a few issues that I need some advice on. So my house is 13 years old and the original single stage keeprite had cracks in the heat exchanger, it was 100,000btu 16,000cfm. My Hvac guy recommended a Coleman Echelon modulating furnace with the same output as the original.

First issue came when my wife was feeling a vibration in the floor above the furnace area, I went down and noticed that the furnace and first 15ft of ductwork was vibrating pretty violently. Called the guy back and he said its overloading the ductwork and we need to step the fan down. It worked but I would like to know if this is ok to do for the long haul and would I see any problems with both efficiency and reliability because of this?

My second issue is with the filter, he left the original 1 housing on and if I dont change the filter every 3 weeks then the furnace will run constantly and the house will get cold. When I pull the filter out its deformed as if its being sucked into the furnace. I have tried high end 3m filters and cheaper less restrictive fibreglass filters but I would really like to use a better filter because of my wifes allergies. Would changing to a 5 housing fix this problem?

I would also like to know if my 3rd Gen nest thermostat would be ideal for this furnace.

Truthfully the HVAC guy has been good about things but I just wanna find out if Im being misled the next time I call him and I thank u guys for any help

Post Likes
    Tell us about your home, its size where you're located, etc.
    I'm thinking the furnace is over-sized & the duct-work too small; also the filter area appears to be way too small, since it's deforming the filters.

You still may have too much pressure-drop even if U switch to deep pleated filters.

Have a Manual "J" preformed...
    Then a Manual "S" for equipment sizing
    Then a Manual"D" for Duct sizing & filter.area sizing & selection.

3. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    The house is 1150sq ft top floor, 750sq ft main floor, 750 basement, 2 story, 4 bed, unfinished basement. House is located in stouffville Ontario Canada (just north of Toronto)

Post Likes
    The house is 1150sq ft top floor, 750sq ft main floor, 750 basement, 2 story, 4 bed, unfinished basement. House is located in stouffville Ontario Canada (just north of Toronto)

Post Likes
    the cracked heat exchanger in a 13 year old unit should have turned on the red light that something was not right
    Go Trump

7. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    the new furnace will need to move about 1900 cfm .
    Go Trump

9. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    100K BTUs for 1150 square feet!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Too small of ductwork for the current unit and that is why the filter is being deformed. I will assume the unit is tripping limit and that is why the cold air. This is a bit puzzling as normally this type of a limit trip is auto reset.

From what you have posted, I am concerned that the contractor is less then knowledgeable in his chosen line of work!!
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

11. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    100K BTUs for 1150 square feet!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Too small of ductwork for the current unit and that is why the filter is being deformed. I will assume the unit is tripping limit and that is why the cold air. This is a bit puzzling as normally this type of a limit trip is auto reset.

From what you have posted, I am concerned that the contractor is less then knowledgeable in his chosen line of work!!
    Actually,1900 sq ft not including the basement.

OP, your duct work is too small for the furnace.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

13. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Actually,1900 sq ft not including the basement.

OP, your duct work is too small for the furnace.
    Missed the multiple level, sorry.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    The house was a new build in a subdivision so he just used the specs off the old furnace rather than do his own calculation. So Im your guys opinion what is the best solution to my problem? What are my options at this point?

Post Likes
    Replace the furnace. Or redo the ductwork.
    The blower may be able to be slowed down more, but likely it will not be enough.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

17. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    And DO NOT use the Nest with it.