Post Likes

Cool First floor "Garage" area air movement

First, Thanks for allowing me to post. New to A/C air handling issues as I am moving to a much warmer and more humid region (Hilton Head Island SC) in the near future.
    The home I am building will have as the "lower level" a 3000 sq ft first floor garage as the building codes require 15 ft front doors and since I want a big a** garage, this works for me.
    What I am most concerned about is air quality and moisture in this "non-heated / air conditioned" space. It is solid concrete with high transom windows for light, 2 doors to the yard and 2 garage doors (drive through).
    Running a De-humidifier seems like it would take out moisture, but I want this to be a more inviting space for a few cars, a work shop etc.
    Should I ask the people doing the AC to put a few vents in this space, have a small fan to pull "bad" air out, ?
    Current taxation is based on "heated" square feet and I want to stay on the right side of the tax assessor (not adding 3000 sqFT will help a lot!).
    Any suggestions welcome.
    Thank you.
    Mike

Post Likes
    It is against code to have the main hvac unit for the house condition a garage area.
    A separate unit would be required if you wanted to condition the room.
    I sure hope the hvac guys aren’t just putting vents wherever people tell them. There should be a design drawing that should be followed.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Post Likes
    So what do you suggest?
    Mike

Post Likes
    For the garage?
    Mini split heat pump and a stand alone dehumidifier.
    Will you be installing insulated roll up doors in the garage?
    For the duct, your hvac guys should’ve done a manual d for duct design.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Post Likes
    Thanks!
    M.