+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Father's day 3" Thick Porterhouse

Post Likes

Father's day 3" Thick Porterhouse

Reverse seared this 3" porterhouse that I got from the kids for Fathers day, came out quite good.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    JLB,

2. Likes captube, HVAC_Marc liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Mmmmmm
    What is 'reversed' seared?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    Mmmmmm
    What is 'reversed' seared?
    http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/...se_steaks.html
    JLB,

In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    With HVAC-talk's backup only until late June 2017 did I get to see this. That's AWESOME!
    Now I gotta go see the butcher. A Porterhouse is my favorite.

My 23 yr old Weber Performer should grill one of those up quite nicely. I'd also reverse sear, but with some oak/mesquite smoke for the indirect part.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ECtofix View Post
    With HVAC-talk's backup only until late June 2017 did I get to see this. That's AWESOME!
    Now I gotta go see the butcher. A Porterhouse is my favorite.

My 23 yr old Weber Performer should grill one of those up quite nicely. I'd also reverse sear, but with some oak/mesquite smoke for the indirect part.
    I have been doing a little refinement for the Webber kettle. Use a smaller amount of charcoal, maybe 12/15 pieces, and place the steak on the far opposite side. I face the top of the 'T" of the T-bone toward the heat. Keep the internal temp of the grill at 210-230, and let the steak bake. At 110 internal temp of the steak, start a chimney full of charcoal for the reverse sear. When the internal temp of the steak is at about 112-115, pull the steak and add the chimney of charcoal, leaving the lid off. Put the steak on and flip it continuously, blotting the moisture off the opposite side, so it crisps up when you sear it. When the sear looks good pull it off and serve it right away. With a reverse sear, the juices are very evenly distributed.
    JLB,

Post Likes
    Never knew that was called reverse searing. But that's the way I've always cooked meat. Cool article.

8. Likes lkapigian liked this post.
    Post Likes
    This can be considered an assault steak, and may be banned by the loony left.

10. Likes lkapigian, davidj001 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jim bergmann View Post
    Reverse seared this 3" porterhouse that I got from the kids for Fathers day, came out quite good.
    looks kind of rare,,, like you'd be chasing back and froth across the table
    if corny was a part on a washing machine,,, he'd be the agitator

“Those who CAST the votes decide nothing; those who COUNT the votes decide everything.” – Stalin even evil men say things worth paying attention to

A Nation of Sheep - Breeds a Government of Wolves

Gangster Al Capone once remarked that anyone who can walk to the welfare office can walk to work.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj001 View Post
    looks kind of rare,,, like you'd be chasing back and froth across the table
    That is rare for sure, but it is cooked all the way through. It was not able to run far at all. With a steak that thick if not cooked "right" you will get blue rare which is uncooked meet in the middle. Some like it that way, but I prefer a perfect medium rare from edge to edge.

Thanks

Jim
    JLB,

Post Likes
    Great looking steak! I love a good reverse seared thick steak. That website you linked to has helped me turn my kettle into a smoker that puts out some great stuff, and taught me a lot about cooking in general.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in