Post Likes

make up air question?

I have a customer that has an exhaust hood with no make up air, but he has a swamp cooler. Could swamp cooler do a job of what make up air can do or you need to have make up air to properly replace air that been exhausted?

Post Likes
    When make up air is provided there are several ways it is done. Swamp cooler is not good unless you are in a low humidity area and the kitchen is not normally humid. If you want to add make up air you first need to determine how much. A lot of hoods heat the make up air in cold weather by do not cool the air. On smaller hoods the air handling unit is often sized to handle the make up air needed. In my opinion swamp coolers are not good for kitchen make up air period. Some facilities don't add make up air and let the building go negative. Check the local codes and go from there.

Post Likes
    I've run into swamp coolers used for make up in kitchens. Sometimes it's because the make up air fan failed and a swamper was cheaper than fixing the fan. Sometimes they are used with media and water run to them and sometimes they just use the fan in the cooler.
    Some exhaust hoods w/o make up air have swamp coolers just dump their air into the kitchen. The cooks really like that as many kitchens have no cooling.
    Our humidity is normally low so a swamper can be used if the supply air is closely matched to the hood. This is fairly easy as long as the media is clean. Over a season the minerals in the water will slow the air down. A kitchen can't be too positive or the restaurant's mechanical cooling will be compromised.
    Here makeup of some kind is needed because the restaurants are usually cooled mechanically and don't want conditioned air being exhausted. The kitchens are usually neutral or somewhat positive. Set up matters.
    Setting up a kitchen is often a thankless endeavor because the average restaurant isn't maintained. I had a boss once that said "No restaurants, bars, or trailer parks. Slow pay or no pay" !
    I should have played the g'tar on the MTV. MK

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Swamp coolers are used all the time, it is the maint on them that never seems to git done.
    UA Local 32

5. Likes hvacker liked this post
    Post Likes
    what area are you from? Swamp coolers are iffy
    ---------------
    Steve
    Faith Heating & Cooling Chicago

Post Likes
    Long Beach California.

Post Likes
    For a functioning swamper the humidity has to be low. The cooling effect diminishes with humidity. Where I live humidity can be low enough to want to question the instrument. I once measured with a digital meter 0.6% RH. When the RH is that low I can measure a 30 degF delta T. But the air, while cool, is not the same comfort wise as mechanical cooling. A tad too humid.

When the monsoons come in July swampers will not do well. Usually at 50-60% they won't perform other than moving humid air around.
    But to the OP's question they will work as long as constant cooling isn't needed. If the area's humidity is above 50% or so they are just a fan moving air.
    I should have played the g'tar on the MTV. MK

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    At one time, make up air was propping open a door or window. In the winter, the doors and windows were closed. Or the exhaust fan was shut off. But exhaust hood knowledge advanced. We used outside air and not conditioned air from the dining room. The make-up air was wired to the exhaust fan and operated when the exhaust fan was on. The next advanced was to bring in fresh air at 80% of the exhaust air. Now, we bring in 90% make-up air. The last few years, on new installs, we have a variable speed intake fan. Current code requires a temperature probe I
    to be installed in the exhaust duct or plenum and the intake fan comes on at about 80° to 90° F. More temp, the fan speed increases.